Taking a break from work?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone, 

I'm new to this in every respect so please go gentle.  

I've always been a nervous person, from being a child I worried more than the average kid. So I guess it’s in my make up.  Anyway, for the past few years I’ve suffered from a low mood and fairly constant anxiety which is mainly related to work rather than other parts of my life.  I finally gave in last week and saw the doctor and was prescribed citalopram 10mg moving up to 20 in a few days now.

Overall I’ve had some side effects like dizziness, forgetfulness, lower mood and making a few mistakes at work. Not noticed any benefits yet but i know its early days. But I’m slightly concerned what will happen when I up my dose.

Generally I have a fairly stressful job in that I have demanding clients I’m responsible for multiple deadlines each day which could change in a moments notice.  This obviously doesn't help matters.

My question I’m trying to weigh up now is do I give myself a break from work for a week or so to let the meds settle in and generally try and recover? I'm conscious that it might make going back to work harder after and make the issue worse and what if i dont actually get any better...Or could be easier to go back and face work as the meds could have kicked in.

Also I’m torn between telling my employer about this or not.  I know I can self cert for a week but I don’t know what is best in the long run.  There is still a stigma around mental health and given the high pace stressful nature of the job I’m not sure they will be very sympathetic.  Or is it better just to be upfront?

It would be great to hear if anyone else is or has been in the situation.

Thanks,

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hey John,

I personally just went thru this. I told my emp straight away that i was taking meds and there might be side effects where i need to take some leave. I did end up taking two weeks off but my HUGE advice is DO NOT GOOGLE side effects. It will make matters 100% worse and give ur anxiety an imagination of its own. Let ur body be and decide how it wants to react itself :-) great work so far ang hopefully things improve!

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, how did you find going back to work?  Did you end up stressing more that you were off in the first place?  Did it help?

Sorry for all the questions but i dont have anyone who i can ask.

• Posted

Hey John, i go back tomorrow but i have no reason to worry and neither should you if you take time off. Time off is bloody fantastic lol. Albeit boring. I had the first of four of my semester law exams today and absolutely aced it! U will be fine. Give ur body time to adjust love xx
  • Posted

Oh and if the meds arent making u feel better (like mine didnt), consult with ur dr and taper off them. Im feeling a million bucks now compared to when i had to ask for time off work.
  • Posted

And pps haha i also work in a high pressure job - criminal law prosecutions - im stuck in court l day every day and no chance of having a breather if I need one. Dont worry, u will get thru this and go see a psych for therapy to compliment ur medication :-)
    • Posted

Thanks again for your comments.  its difficult to know what to do for the best. I keep second guessing myself

• Posted

Hi John.  I can relate.  I suffer from anxiety and depression.  I had a very demanding job with a very demanding employer,  my fellow employees were great and I miss them.  I got to the point where it was making me so stressed my anxiety levels would increase.  I finally had to call my employer and say that I needed a break because of stress and anxiety.  It took a lot of courage to do and I still feel bad about doing it.  But, I know I had to do it for me.  You have to tell yourself that no job is worth getting sick over and if it does it's time for a change.  My employer was very sympathetic and gave me a layoff due to illness.  And I recently found out my employer has a family member battling depression as well.  You are not alone.  Even some days you may feel like you are.  There is always someone going through similar situations.  Follow your heart and do what's best for you.  You are the only one who can make that change.  Good luck.  Hope to hear back from you.  All the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.