Taking a long time to heal

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone..I dislocated my ankle and broke it in 2 places..I have a plate and screws on both sides of my ankle..My operation was on Nov 24. I still am having a hard time walking with out pain..it feels like it runs right around my ankle ..any thoughts

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

same op but on 17 dec. Im still in a boot and have had lots of pain. the pain is much better but still really aches. my consultant said it could take upto 6 months for all the soft tissue to heal.

good luck

• Posted

Same here too. It's been almost 6 months for me. Slowly healing but it's taking so much longer than I thought it would. Hang in there!!

• Edited

Hi there. I know this pain all too well. It has been since March 4, 2019 since my ORIF surgery. Finally went back to my stand up job in November. Yes it took that long for my severe pain to go away enough for me to work. I was still limping pretty bad then too. This surgery, sorry to say, is a very long healing process. I think it is because of BOTH sides of you ankle were broke like mine. I have a plate and 6 screws on the right side and 1 long screw on the left inside of my right ankle. I literally thought my foot was not going to make it. I thought it was going to have to be amputated. I was so fearful I cried like every darn day. It was the most pain I had ever experienced in my life. I am a 53 year old female who drank a lot of beer and chewed a lot of nicotine gum. Now I am sober for 1 year now and have stopped chewing nicotine gum because I thought this was the reason for the slowness of my recovery. I am not sure if either of these two habits had anything to do with recovery now BECAUSE believe it or not, I am still in pain sometimes when I wake up and start to walk around with no shoes on. The stiffness feels like it will always be there. Sorry to be a downer but you will be healing for a long time. Find some great things to do to keep your mind of of this healing process. It takes what seems like FOREVER!!!!! God Bless US ALL!!

• Posted

Hi how long before you were able to walk around with little pain.. it's 6 months since my TAR and feel it will never get better.

• Edited

hi there, I was still in pain in Nov. when going back to work. Severe pain was gone by 7 months. it has been a year March 4 since surgery. still not the same but hopefully getting there!!

• Posted

Im 8 months post op and in AM my ankle is stiff when I first get out of bed

Once my day starts it loosens up and I can go on with my day

My ortho said it can take up to a year to get full feeling back in ankle

I walk about 3 miles a day Yesterday when I went walking my ankle seemed very rigid Today its fine I walked the rescue dogs today and all was fine

I say the ankle runs the day! Lol!!!

• Edited

Similar to you 4 fixations.

Post opp 9 month's weight bearing stiff toes rest is getting there physieo once a week and last week fist time rode the bike in nine month's. It do get better.

53 year old me and starting at last to feal normal.

Wish you well I used a skin softener cream on my foot twice daily it helped.

Keep well respects Mark.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.