Taking amatriptaline 10mg for migraines

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello people I have just been prescribed amatriptaline 10mg for migraines, mine started around 16 years ago going through the change, I have never taken antidepressants or any other kind of medics but very concerned of the side effects especially the drowsiness as I work out at the gym slot have a job and do quite a bit of driving. Please help really not sure what to do thank you Kathy

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi kathy. I have been on 20mg for 2 & 1/2 years for migraines & helping me to sleep. The drowsiness side effect was with me for 2/3 months before i got used to my dosage. I still continued going to the gym & pool & it actually did me good. Just see how you go & take care!!

• Posted

Ahh thanks Stephen, much appreciated, my doctor said I could break them in half for 5mg but it looks like this would not work according to other comments, would you say it outweighs the negatives, I think I'm just really worried but I don't suffer anxiety or stress believe it or not. Lol x

• Posted

Also, i take my tablets 3 hours before bed. I sometimes finish work at 10pm. I know everyone is different, but the tablets have never affected my driving.
  • Posted

Hi Kathy, i am currently trying to get off this medication the withdrawal is horrendous and this is my third attempt. However, to answer your question i drive for a living and after the first 2/3 weeks the drowsyness wears off. I take mine at 7pm which , is 3.5hours before i go to bed. If you take it too late say just before bed you will be tired in the morning. Lots of people say it helps there migranes however, i take it for nerve pain. I found it worked well but stopped and i had to increase to 20mg. Again it worked for several months and then i had to increase to 30mg. It was at this point i decided to wean off as i started to feel tired again in the morning on 30mg and i had put on a little weight. Everyone is different so some people love it and some wish they had never started it. I wish i had not started this medication, Just be aware if its not for you, you may experience  withrawal symptoms. But , like i said if it works for you its great and many people love it. Take care  and make your own mind up xx 
    • Posted

Oh thank you so much Amanda your answer was really helpful, to be honest I simply can't make up my mind the only thing I might do is wait until the winter cos that's when it's worse as I said I think mine are hormonal, I do if possible take the alternative i.e.:- feverfew holland Barrett but it's not working now. I'll get there hopefully.

Thanks again xx

• Posted

Hi amanda. How are you coping with your weaning off the tablets. I too want to come off them, but am concerned about the side effects, withdrawal symptoms etc.
    • Posted

Hi stephen, im doing well i am taking 7mg at the moment  half a 10mg tablet and 2mg via liquid. i will reduce down to 6.5mg next week.
    • Posted

The mg you are taking are very low. I have been at 75 mg for 10 years and total 26 years. I cannot take any opiads or other nerve pain meds. I had a genetic test because I metabolize meds different than 99.9% of people. Being afraid of stopping a antidepresent  should not be equal to stopping a narcotics pain med. I started when I had IC finally determined after I was tortured and my bladder ripped to pieces inside. The pain was excruciating with no relief for 10 minutes in 4 years of recovering. They did not really consider Amit. to be a pain med at the time, but it helped me to sleep. Now 26 years later I have pelvic floor dysfunction with IBS. Most likely a nerve in my pelvic area is causing the burning pain. Without Amit. I could not live. I also took another antidepressent in the morning. I was on the evil Cymbalta for 2 years and had horrific side effects. Black outs while driving caught my attention as well as no memory for even 30 seconds. I had no idea about these side effects. I could hardly talk or have any consentration over 20 seconds. I stopped the billion $ law suit drug the day I found out about the problems with it. It was a 3 week step down from 60 mg. my withdrawal was much like my side effects. It is now a month later and today I am out of the fog, but have disabling nerve pain. I think the Amit. I still take made that withdrawal easier. I am very depressed by my pain and being in bed for 6 months now. I am going to have pelvic nerve blocks to try to get that pain lessened. As far as taking the Amit. I figure it is better to be on that then a narcotic. I do not know of any side effects I have ,but dry mouth and constipation. So many of the other classes of antidepresent are much more likely to be harder to stop. If I have to take it forever I will. You have to ask your self why are you taking it. Has that reason abated . If you still need a antidepressent why are you trying to stop it. Looking at the SSRI and SSNRI meds they are not easy to stop either. As long as I get the pain relief and can sleep I will take Amit. at night. I see my med Dr. tomorrow and will talk about what to do for the day time depression. Taking meds is not a negative thing to do if you need them. Many people are alive because there are medications for them. Being depressed is as legitimate as taking insulin
    • Posted

Hi Ose, yes i am on a low dose and even at my highest 30mg this is still low compared to some. like i said to Kathy ,  i agree if you need amitriptyline and it is working then great stick with it, it seems to be used for many conditions. i decided to try and come off it because i had to keep increasing it and i did not like the  side effects. i started to take it for burning nerve pain however, i am afraid i will be back at the same point that i was when i first started the drug, this is scary did not like the  constant burning nerve pain. i am thinking of trying herbal medication if it returns. i agree taking meds that make you feel better is positive but , some do have side effects and its upto each individual to decide if any side effects out weigh the benifits the drugs give.  hope your dr review went ok x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.