Taking blood pressure .. Palm up or down?

Posted , 5 users are following.

This might seem strange but I am getting a significant different in reading when my palm is up or down .. When its up , I am in the mid to low 120 and might 70 ; when its down im in the low 130 and low 80 .. Why is that ?

There is literally very little different between my palm , just a slight rotation.

Which one should I go by?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Your arm should be at heart level while checking bp. Then your reading will b correct.
  • Posted

Yes, and leaning forward or backward, and keeping your knees together or spreading your legs apart, can all affect readings a few points, too.  The rule is to relax as best you can, whatever position that ends up in.  Go with the lowest reading, I think.
  • Posted

Eduardo333...this is how I've been taught to take bp readings. Relax a few minutes..sit in a chair with your back supported, feet flat on the floor. Rest your arm on a table, making sure your upper arm is level with your heart. Apply the cuff to the LEFT arm, about 1 1/2" above the bend in the elbow. Make sure the cuff isn't too loose or too tight, because that can give you inaccurate readings. If you can comfortably insert two fingers in the top of the cuff, then it's the correct tightness. Be sure the cable of the cuff runs down the centre of your inner arm, & lines up with your middle finger. You've probably guessed by now...you sit with your palm UP. Don't force your arm UP, do it in a relaxed fashion. If it's slightly & I mean very slightly rotated, don't be concerned about it. Take a reading..disregard that reading because it's very likely inaccurate. Take 3 consecutive readings about 2 min apart, then average them out. That's your reading. If you have a machine that will automatically take the 3 readings for you, then gives the average, that's absolutely ok. In this case, I'd take just one reading...then set the machine to take 3 consecutive. You're all set.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.