Taking Bloodthinners

Posted , 6 users are following.

For the last 8 months I have been taking a bloodthinner called Sintrom a Spanish equivalent to Warfarin.  I developed a DVT in my leg after having an operation on my foot this year.  A year ago I developed another DVT after having an operation on my leg.  Both episodes was because of imobilisation for about 2 months. Because both of the DVT's were due to trauma, and did not occur naturally I was wondering if I need to be on these bloodthinners for the rest of my life.  Has anyone been told there is a difference to natually occuring DVT's or DVT's caused by trauma?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Robert , As you have been prescribed Sintrom I take it you are an expat and not a UK resident qualifying for NHS care . It seems you have been prescribed this anti-coagulant to improve blood flow after your DVTs and I advise you to follow your practitioner's advice ,  DVTS are usually caused by inactivity, I do not understand your question as this condition results in a trauma naturally occuring from this .
  • Posted

My Consultant advises me that if DVT is due to unknown cause, lifetime Warfarin prescibed, if reason for DVT is known, then 6 months prescribed.
    • Posted

Well that's not strictly true as it depends on what the known cause is and if there's no known cause, whether it's a first DVT .
    • Posted

Yes misswoosie, it's a first DVT. All seems ok after 6 months on Warfarin.
    • Posted

So assume they knew why you had the DVT then. It's a while since I worked in the anticoag' service, but it used to be 3 months WARFARIN for a first DVT.
  • Posted

Hi Robert,

Can you recall if you wore TED ( those sexy white things that are an absolute oain to get on) stockings after either of the surgeries? Also, were they giving you injections of heparin daily before you were diagnosed with the DVT?

Here in the UK, any surgery on the abdomen or lower limbs which will result in significantly reduced mobilisation requires DVT prophylaxis ( ie to prevent clots) and this would usually include heparin injections, starting just before the op, and TED stockings , which would also be put on before the operation.

If you didn't receive any prophylaxis ( prevention) , or the prevention was stopped before you were "up and about" then I don't think you would need lifelong warfarin. Any surgery, obviously, activates the clotting process, and imobility leads to decreased blood flow in the leg veins back to the heart. Bllod flow in leg veins relies on the calf muscles contracting and applying pressure and almost squeezing the blood up hill against gravity. People who have varicose veins are at increased risk of DVT as they have poor valve function. The valves in the veins ,in the leg particulalry, help to stop the blood back flowing downhill and pooling. Blood that's sitting still is more likely to start clotting, especially if the clotting (healing) process is underway after injury ( surgery). If someone is immobilised for a prolonged  period then they should be doing leg exercise to help prevent DVT, ie rotating ankles, pulling feet up towards nose, pressing knees down into the mattress. Same exercises as they advise you to do on a long haul flight. Hope this helps.

• Posted

My first DVT was 27 years ago after a long train journey.  My recent one (March) had no explanation.  I'm now on warfarin for life.  As there was no explanation for the recent one, I had a CAT scan.  Apparently unexplained DVTs can occur when there is an undiagnosed cancer.  The scan revealed 5 nodules on my right lung which are currently under further investigation.  As yours are due to surgery, this won't apply to you.  I include the information only because it explains one difference between naturally occuring DVTs and those caused by trauma.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.