Taking Caltrate calcium if I have Graves' disease

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm new with hyperthyroidism and Graves' disease. I am taking Methimazole 30mg at 9am. I also take Propranolol 20mg 3 times a day every 8 hours apart. I take Caltrate calcium in lunch time and dinner time. Am I doing the right thing? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Although I had Graves Disease, I have no idea what the calcium would do in your case.  Why are you taking the calcium?  I adversely reacted quite quickly to both the possible medications to treat Graves Disease, so the only choices were to kill my thyroid with radioactive iodine or to remove it.

I had raised blood calcium, which I was told meant I had a parathyroid adenoma, which had to come out...so my thyroid and my adenoma was removed.

I am very curious about your reason for taking calcium because it is so different to my own experience.

• Posted

I have Osteopenia. I take 2 caltrate calcium to keep my bone strong.
    • Posted

Have you had your calcium, PTH and vit D tested?  Osteopenia is one of the symptoms of parathyroid adenoma.  Parathyroids are glands behind the thyroid and they control calcium levels in your blood.  An adenoma is a tumour, usually not cancerous, of a parathyroid, where it gets enlarged and unable to shut off..thereby putting out PTH (parathyroid hormone) all the time, signalling your bones to release calcium.  If you get the calcium, PTH and vit D all tested from one blood sample and the calcium and PTH are both high and the vit D is low, it will show you have an adenoma.  The calcium does not need to be actually over normal...the high end of normal with raised PTH will show it.  In a normal person, if calcium is high then PTH will be low, since there is no reason for the parathyroids to signal the bones to release calcium to the blood.

I had a parathyroid adenoma for 7 years before my graves disease happened.  I had been told I had raised calcium, but not what it meant, until I saw the endocrinologist for my graves disease.

They removed my thyroid (because I reacted adversely to the drugs for overactive thyroid) and my adenoma at the same time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.