Taking dressing off what will it reveal

Posted , 13 users are following.

Tomorrow I am due to take my own dressing and steri strips off TKR. I am a bit nervous as the wound has been stinging, and pulling . Not sure what awaits me. Can anyone tell what to expect when I take the steri strips off. I am 3weeks post op

1 like, 59 replies

59 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, very odd that you have to do this yourself, it is usually done by your hospital or a practice nurse, so I am guessing you are not in the UK?  What to expect, well I am only one week in so have not had to do this yet, but on past experience it will depend on the type of dressing you have on at the moment.  If it is just a breatherable dressing it should all be dry and fine, if it is a water proof, it could be a little sweaty and wet.  Either way the most important thing is to steralise everything you use.  If you don't have surgical gloves make sure you scrub your hands and have some clean wipes to clean the area.  The steri strips should come off very easily and without discomfort, the stinging and pulling you feel is probably stitching and nerves below the skin so shouldn't cause you a problem.  The scar could still be a little weepy in places, if so cover with a light breathable dressing for 24 hours.  I took my own stitches out following my knee debridment, and it didn't hurt at all.  Good luck and do let us know how it goes.cheesygrin
  • Posted

Don't know the answer but just wanted you to know I'll be thinking about you and wishing you well.

Kind regards,

Gill 

• Posted

A little scary to start with when you see the wound for the 1st time. The knee will probably be red, some slight draining or seeping and the knee will be rather warm to hot. I imagine there will be some residue from the sterilization liquid, either red or brown. I think most people are a little surprised at the size of the incision but after 1st glance it isn't particuarily disturbing. 18 yrs ago my wife had breast cancer and had to have a mastectomy. They showed us pictures of incision and healing process. I thought I was ready for the 1st post surgery look.........I wasn't... The unwrapping of the knee was much easier to take and the familiarrization process much easier. You will be fine, no need to be anxious.
  • Posted

Forgot to add, give your knee a good iceing first, it will help to numb it and make you less stressed.  Bet it will be really easy, don't worry.
  • Posted

I have had my post op appointment after 2 weeks where they took the staples out and put steri strips on and put a dressing on over the top. They said leave it on for about a week then take it off.

i am worried it won't be joined back together and that I'll keep bashing it. There are some funny feelings coming from the wound bit sore and I have needle like sensation.. Will have a look tomorrow and let you know 

• Posted

all will be joined together and you wont bash it ,and if you did you wont do it again ,your likey to be aware of your naked knee and the funny feelings are your knee repairing its self , im now four months post op and i still get these feelings in my left knee ,i had my other knee done 9 montrhs ago and all is fine and dandy with that one with no more funny feelings , good luck

• Posted

I know how you feel. I am in uk and changed my dressing yesterday. Luckily dry but very long scar. I am dreading having clips removed this Thursday. I will be like you I am sure. I think you might be pleasantly surprised when you remove dressing. Let's hope you are. Will be thinking about you xx
    • Posted

Thank you Susan. My clip removing wasn't bad at all.just a little more tender near the knee cap because it's closer to the bone but I didn't squeal at all. Nurse was brilliant. Let me know how it goes. Will be thinking of you on a Thursday 
    • Posted

arrh!  As I am only one week and haven't been through this, I didn't realise that after the clips come out the wound is steri striped does this happen to everyone, and can you shower with this type of dressing.  If once you have removed the strips you feel your knee is vulnarable you could always add a soft padded dressing allowing the scar to breath until you feel more confident.  Hope today i a good day for you.cheesygrin
    • Posted

Hi ...I never had steri strips ...my waterproof dressing was removed and the wound was clean ...so no it doesn't happen to everyone so don't worry 

Jean 

• Posted

I to had my clips out last week and what a relief it was yes it did pull a little on the knee but i can move around much better now and my knee feels so much easier, the only thing the nurse did not say nor did i ask is how long is the dressing left on, this is the clean on applied after clips were taken out
  • Posted

The surgeon's assistant took my steristrips off at 2 weeks, and by then my wound was completely sealed over. It was a bit of a sticky mess, but he said the glue on the steristrips didn't usually get sticky like that so you may not have that to deal with. In one spot where they had had an instrument stuck on my skin, there was a scab that partly pulled off with the steristrip and he just stuck a bandaid over it.
    • Posted

I guess I was so lucky with my TKRwound 

my surgeon did one long continuous stitch which dissolved plus there were no ends to clip off 

the scar looked so ugly att first 

but now 13weeks post op it is just a thin line ..a bit red in places but so neat 

all I need now is to be pain free.

so take heart the scar will be almost invisibleby Summer 

jean 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.