Taking Flucloxacillin for Cellulitis; broken out in hives!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey everynoe,

I've had 2 bouts of cellulitis in 2 months, and I've taken Clarithromycin but it made my stomach really hurt so the doctor gave me flucloxicillin and that got rid of the first lot. When it came back I went on flucloxacillin again for 1 week now have to do another week. However, today, I have broken out in hives all over my arms and legs. At least, I think they're hives. 

They burn and are so itchy I can't focus on anything else. 

What's worse is I don't even know if the antibiotics are working. It's not spreading super fast or anything, if at all, and the heat and discomfort are down. But the actual red patches aren't. 

I've never been allergic to Penicillin personally but I know that my mother is. 

Is this an allergic reaction or just a side-effect? I would have thought it'd have shown up sooner if it was allergies given how often i've been taking it recently. Am I okay to keep taking them, as the problem isn't fully solved?

Thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I've been to the walk-in clinic tonight & been told to come off my antibiotics. The doctor says that if i've all ready taken 7-9 days worth and the infection isn't spreading I should be fine. I have stopped because I'm clearly allergic and it's not safe to take. But I'm not convinced my cellulitis has gone away.

I had it 2 months ago too, took 2 weeks of antibiotics & it went away mostly but came back at a site close to the original site. I don't want these bacteria to get stronger and stronger. Will that happen?

• Posted

I'm on the FLUCLOXACILLIN as well 1st box did wonders went on them again after 2 tablets I new something wasn't right so I rang the pharmacy the next day and asked was it the same brand as before or generic brand as 2 box I was up all night itchy as she checked and apologised they gave me a different brand as the 1st box I had was out of stock!!! So I stopped using them until they are back in stock

• Posted

Stick with what works for your body!!! Fighting bacterial infection myself 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.