Taking gabapentin 600 mg for three months how do I taper off

Posted , 6 users are following.

I been taking gapapentine for three to four months and would like advice on how to slow tapper off! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi janice07158,

Even though you’re on a pretty low dose (600 mg) of gabapentin (do you take it once a day or??). And only for a short duration, you’re right..to taper down.

From experience (me once a day), I have gone off with no problem by taking If once a day that is..300 mg once a day for at least 2weeks if you can.  Then off. 

But that’s just my experience, look at websites for more info..drugs.com is good, medscape.com and Most importantly your Dr., if you have one or if you have insurance.  It’s better to be on “the safe side”, since this med is not only used for nerve pain BUT ALSO FOR SEIZURES!  So please be careful.  You can always go to an urgent care place, may be cheaper and look at their reviews first before choosing which one!

Best,

Chan

• Posted

Hi.  Even though you have only been on it a short period the withdrawals can be horrible. If I were you I would taper 100 mg every 3 to 4 weeks and see how you feel.  You need to give your brain a chance to do with less of it. Good Luck.  
  • Posted

Hi.  Even though you have only been on it a short period the withdrawals can be horrible. If I were you I would taper 100 mg every 3 to 4 weeks and see how you feel.  You need to give your brain a chance to do with less of it. Good Luck. The slower the better. 
    • Posted

I'm in Rita's camp on this. I'll skip months (I pick a date that's easy to remember like the 4th or the 25th) if I want to know I'll feel good. In July we had two trips planned, so I went 7 weeks. I dropped form 900 to 800 one week ago, so far I feel good. I've had odd, passing problems, but so far good. But I know there can be more showing up in the next few days or weeks.

• Posted

It's hard to predict how people will react, so the short answer is slowly and carefully. Some people have a problem getting off 300 mg after only a few weeks, others have no problem. It's likely your doctor hasn't a clue how to get off this stuff. I've been on it since October 2016, been weaning since January 2017. From people who've been thru it the rule is 10-20% drop over 2-4 week. Personally, I take 4-6 weeks as some withdrawal can show up 2-3 weeks later. I like to have good days in between the bad.

Do you take it 3 times a day? That's the recommendation from the manufacturer, but doctors do all kinds of off-label prescribing. You need to get 100 mg tablets so you can start to drop that way. Don't drop by 300, as you may have problems with a 50% drop. Read from groups online, or on FB regarding gabapentin or benzos. They work on the brain the same way and can cause the same withdrawal problems. They can be anything from annoying and disturbing to really upsetting, scary and miserable. Cold-turkey can cause seizures among many other things.  Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.