Taking inulin for chronic constipation

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everybody, I thought I would share my experience with inulin with anyone suffering from chronic constipation. I have tried everything under the sun. I have been constipated since I can remember and I have tried lots of remedies to try to improve it. I am against taking medicines but my doctor recommended me to take Macrogol 4000 indefinitely to treat this problem. I did so for a year and things really improved and I felt like a normal person. However, I could not stand the idea of depending on a medicine to have a normal BM. So I did some research on my own and tried chia seeds puddings. They worked for a while and then everything went back to usual. I tried magnesium citrate, psyllium, drinking 2 to 3 litres of water a day, exercise more and nothing made a difference. Finally, I read about inulin and I decided I did not have anything to lose. I started taking 3 gr. a day and I slowly built it up to 10 gr. a day. This is now my standard dose and it works. I have a BM every day and it is normal. I would like to know if there is anyone out there who has had the same experience and if anyone knows if inulin can be taken long term as I could not find any literature about taking it for extended periods of time. Any comment is appreciated. Thank you.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Your post just popped up as i was on internet, Could not believe how similar our story is about constipation, so alike are we that i had to respond. Like you suffered all my my life for some unknown reason, struggled to find a cure without medical intervention. had endless surgery all to do with prolapses. i eat a veggie diet which includes lots of veg and lentils, even though i know I'm healthy because of this its still not helping with the bowel area. I take laxido or movicol every other day just to keep everything soft which helps lots. I watched a very interesting program with Angela Rippon about Inulin and quickly went to by a bag, If it helps you then thats great, think its a natural ingredient so long term probably great as it has other health benefits.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry to hear about your surgeries and I hope you are now doing ok. I just started a couple of weeks ago with the inulin but so far the results have been constant. Hopefully, it will stay that way. Like you, I eat a plant-based diet and I drink lots of water but still, it seems not to be enough. It is so frustrating! I will check the Angela Rippon program online, thank you for the tip.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.