Taking Iron

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hemoglobin was at 7.0. Got blood transfusion.

While trying to determine underlying cause, Doc put me on Ferrous Sulfate 325MG 2 times per day.

Started to feel better, was at 9.5 Hemoglobin couple days after blood transfusion.

Month later was at 13 hemoglobin.

Not long after that, hands started to feel red and warm. Some tingling with pins and needles, maybe some numbess at times. Still taking the ferrous sulfate twice daily.

Just wondering if you can take too much iron or cause issues?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Yes, you can take too much iron and have negative results. For over 75 years

I was taking iron tablets for anemia, beginning as a child. Finally, a new hemotologist diagnosed my anemia as the result of having Thalessemia,

a genetic disorder of which there is no cure. I am now, 81 years old and have had both hip joints replaced (The Dr. says he feels the over use of iron had rusted my

bones and to never take iron again). Now, six years later my hem. count fluctuates between 8.8 and 9.6. and I basically feel the same.

I suggest you have your Dr. determine the reason for your anemia, for it my not be the result of iron deficiency.

• Posted

it maybe possible. Have you tried using natural foods that are high in iron to help combat your symptoms?

i used rich iron foods when i was anemic and it helped with my symptoms. check out this good book on amazon. Overcoming Anaemia, My experience. i got plenty of tips from it.

Good luck and keep well

Lady C

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.