Taking iron tablets but still no energy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been taking the tablets for around 3 weeks but my energy levels are still really low, the headaches are also an issue and I'm aching all over too. My doctor says at least 6 weeks for the tablets to kick in so I was wondering (hoping) that there might be something else I could try with them? I take 200mg of vitamin c every day also. I'm at my wits end as this has been going on for quite a while now and it affects my daily life and how I deal with everything in general. I just want to feel normal!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have had IDA for over a year and my ferritin levels went down to 3 a few months ago. I cannot tolerate prescription iron tablets so you can imagine how I feel! If you're lucky enough to tolerate the tablets they can take a few months to up your iron fully. Meantime, you will still have the ill effects of IDA, of which there are many!! I am just trying some liquid iron (Sytron) once a day in juice at the moment; it gives me tummy cramps but I'm perservering! otc gentle iron tablets and liquid iron water are my best friends and keep me from going down to 3 again. (I'm at about 6 at the moment!!!) So hang on in there and I'm sure you'll feel better soon.

• Posted

Dear Carla,

i suffered from anaemia for a longtime and i recognize what you are saying and how you feel. i did not just rely on the medication because my consultant told me not to expect the medication to work miracles as there are always side effects. He said you will have to help your self towards your own recovery by eating a lot of iron rich foods and changing your diet and lifestyle. At the time i thought he was harsh on me but on reflection i knew he was right. i did as i was told and believe me over a period of time my levels were up and my quality of life better. i went back for my review and my dosage was reduced and eventually stopped. This was a year ago.

i would suggest you try using more natural foods which have no side effects and see how it goes,

There is also a very educative book on anaemia on Amazon. Overcoming Anaemia: My Experience. i will recommend. it has lots of useful information.and tips for well being.

i wish you well

Lady C

• Posted

I’d highly recommend you look into FB group called Magnesium Advocacy group. 

Just taking iron throws a lot of other things off balance.

Watch the pinned video in the group. Quite a perspective! 

• Posted

Thanks to everyone who answered, I really appreciate all the advice. I am looking into vitamin b12 also as a lot of people say that it helps with energy levels. I try my best to live a healthy balanced life but its really hard on a budget lol. I've noticed that my periods have a huge effect on my energy atm but that could be due to my age but im not sure as I'm not even old! Thanks again xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.