Taking Levothyroxine at night

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I have been hypothyroid for well over 25 years.  I was on 125mg per day for many years until earlier this year when a blood test revealed my TSH to be outside the lower end of range.  I had been experiencing some problems with palpitations, chest pain when walking up an incline and was sent for heart scan to rule out angina, the tests came back negative.  My thyroxine dose was reduced to 100mg and the symptoms went away.  I moved home last year and was on 2,200 vitamin D3 for some time mainly because I have osteopenia and my level was a bit low.  My new doctor after a recent dexa scan which showed much the same results as 5 years ago decided my dose of of Vit D3 was too high and prescribed 400 D3/calcium chewabe tablet.  In the meantime I have had some digestive problems and investigations and I now have to take a fibre drink half an hour before breakfast.  I have been taking my thyroxine and a water tablet for blood pressure just before the fibre drink as I had know you need to leave a gap before eating.  It suddenly occurred to me that my thyroxine may not be being absorbed correctly because of the fibre drink.  I asked my gp about taking the thyroxine at night and she said yes you can try but most patients just take it in the morning. So I have 2 questions which I wonder if anyone can help with.

1.  I know there is a correlation between low VitD3 and tsh levels. My Tsh had over the years been slowly lowering so I am not sure whether I should have stayed on 125mg of thyroxine because I am taking lower Vitamin D3 or I should be on the lower dose of Thyroxine with more vitamins D3.  Hope this makes sense.  My gp as good as she is seems to go entirely by blood test results.  They were only done in February.  

2.  Anyone take their thyroxine at night and can tell me what difference it has made to your health bloodtests etc.  I have always had periods when I feel the cold usually at around this time of the year when the weather is so changeable.  My old gp said it was just thyroid adjusting.  I have been having times during the day where I feel very cold.  True we have moved from the south to the north of England but even so I think it could be thryoid related.  Thank you so much for reading this and if you can add anything or advice it would be appreciated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I changed to taking thyroxine at night about 6 months ago because, I now have to take blood pressure and gastro tablets and found it too time consuming, checking time for food next tablet etc so it just works well for me I take my levo before going to bed and can eat breakfast when I wake and take any other tablets smile still have lots of side effect symptoms it didnt help them.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I understand why you have changed to taking your thyroxine just before bed.  I'm sorry you still have lots of side effects.  Can I ask what they are?

• Posted

Hi

Hair loss, dry skin, joint pain and the latest horrid mood swings I keep telling my doctor that I am a nice person normally not the shrew  I have turned into.  I had my thyroid removed about 4 years ago and I think I am at a nice coping level when something else happens low vit D. low calcium >>>> and I seem to be back at square 1 with added symptoms. cry

• Posted

I take my thyroid meds at night at the same time about 4 hours after a meal.  Then you are free to take your vitamins and minerals in the morning with your meal without waiting.  I do not notice any difference at all.  Also with d3 you should be taking k2 not the mountain the vitamin without it the d3 just sits there in your gut and makes you toxic.  You can get d3 and k2 together at a health food store dirt cheap. Or buy separate d3 1000mg to k2 200mg.
    • Posted

Thank you for your rely.  My vitamin D3 and calcium is in one chewable tablet and on prescription.  I think my gp said it is what they advise for anyone with osteopenia.  I remember asking my old doctor about K2 as I had heard you need that as well and she said no you don't.  It is so hard to know what to do for the best.  I think I might ask for another blood test to check thyroid vitamin D3 and calcium levels.  Interestingly when I lived down South as mentioned I was taking the higher dose of Vitamin D3.  This is what happened.  Vit D level before diagnosis was 39.  After one year on this dose 70.  After 2 years over 100 so doctor reduced it by half.  The following year after routine blood test got a standard letter from the surgery saying Vit D levels ok but the doctor would like them to be higher I think they were around 50 and would I buy 1000iu Vit D3 and take it daily.  I started laughing phoned the surgery told them about the letter and said I am already taking that amount and the gp knows.  Probably a different gp who looked at the blood test result.  I saw my gp again and she put me back up to 2,200iu again.  So you can see why I was concerned when this new gp reduced them down to 400iu. My previous result on 2,200 was around 80 and that is when she reduced the dose.  I am very confused but at the moment trying to deal with other health problems. Since moving I am realising that each gp has a different approach to treating patients.

• Posted

I think I read some where that gp take only one hour of nutrition education period.  Do a little reading if you have the time about d3 and k2.  You can also buy k2,separate and it's found in some foods you may be eating.  Also why not get a half hour of sun a day, that's all it takes, a nice walk to the park no sunscreen, fresh air can do wonders when your under the weather.

• Posted

Update  have started taking thyroxine before bed.  Have not noticed much different except possibly sleeper a bit better but that maybe nothing to do with it.  It is early days only changed over 1 week ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.