Taking magnesium supplements weeks after ablation?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does any of you take magnesium supplements weeks after an ablation? My EP said that I can, but I would like to hear your experiences about this. I would like to take it to help with my anxiety and ectopics. I'm almost 7 weeks post ablation.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm 2 weeks post ablation and I've been taking magnesium daily for the past 5 days. I've been taking 200mg/daily for my anxiety for about 10 years so I don't like to go without it but I waited a little while after the surgery. I take a magnesium based supplement called Relax-All and it helps immensely decrease my anxiety.

• Posted

Thank you! I have 375mg magnesium pills at home, I'll try them then. I have lots of ectopics today, and I think it's mainly from anxiety because when I'm not home and not thinking too much I don't have them. Today I'm home all day and even though I had a successful ablation I'm afraid of ectopics (doesn't had them before ablation) and of course I experience them then...

• Posted

I hope it helps! I feel your pain. I'm still having random bouts of tachycardia and palpitations, not a very high HR but still enough to make me anxious which just exacerbates the issue. My 2 week follow up is tomorrow and I'm nervous that my EP is going to say the same thing that yours did. I still feel pretty tired, too. The ablation surgery is no joke.

• Posted

I was very tired, too. I had my 6 week follow up last week and he and my cardiologist said that my heart looks good on echo and my ekg and holter monitor looks good too. And ectopics are normal too so there's nothing to worry about.. and if I won't going to have any complains then it's enough to go on a yearly check up from now on.

• Posted

My ectopic heartbeats stopped about a year after the ablation in 2013. I have been taking magnesium and potassium supplements since then as they help keep my heart rate and blood pressure on an even keel (l have dysautonomia). I didn't know about the anxiety benefit but that's good to know. I also have gastroparesis and magnesium helps with motility. Just a heads up for those who use proton pump inhibitors like Prevacid (lansoprazole)..... they reduce the amount of magnesium in your body. I've used proton pump inhibitors for acid reflux since the 90's and didn't realize they caused low magnesium levels which can trigger a PSVT attack. Low magnesium levels was how my last major PSVT attack was triggered in 2013 and it lasted long enough that I was finally diagnosed and treated. I haven't had another episode since the ablation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.