Taking Methotrexate

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just started on Methotrexate my doctor has recommended 2.5 mg over 4 days folic acid in-between

A lot of people take it all in one go

Why do you think I have been recommended to take it over 4 days

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I've also started methotrexate a couple of weeks ago, and as you said - I have been prescribed folic acid at 5mg on just one day in between the injections. I'd be interested to know the reason for the different strategies.

• Posted

Just looked into this a bit more. Seems like the body doesn't store folic acid, you need a daily intake to be healthy. So it sounds like your daily strategy is going to be better than my one a week! Maybe I need to have a chat with the nurse!

• Posted

I have been taking this drug once a week 4×2.5mg am and 4 pm then 1 folic acid 2day later. I asked my rhumatologist why some people take more folic acid, he is well known in this field, he replied that more folic acid = more methotrexate. Some take higher doses dependent on condition. I also take hydroxychloroquine 2×200mg per day both for rhymatoid atheritis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.