Taking propranolol and gaining weight

Posted , 3 users are following.

Propranolol for tremors and works great. Seem I only need a 10mg small amount once a day at bedtime. But... the sugar hunger is out of control for me. I have gained 5 pounds with this first script. My thought and question, if doctors can give a medication that causes this weight problem isn't there a pill to help with weight loss?

Thanks to all the information shared about this. I just read one of the side effects is low blood sugar.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi betsy07287,

Propranolol shouldn't make you gain. I take Propranolol 20mg at bedtime for my anxiety and heart palpitations due to hyperthyroidism. I also drink coffee everyday too. I weighed the same. Are you on other medication?

• Posted

Hi Betsy,

I experienced initial weight gain on this medication as well...8 lbs. I finally decided to go on a Keto Diet eating plan. I’ve lost all the weight and have never felt better in my life. But I cut  out all sugar, white “stuff” , soy, gluten and the Keto way of living has been a “life savor!” It’s taken me about 5 months but so worth it. Good luck! Jillian

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.