Taking sertraline for anxiety and depression

Posted , 7 users are following.

i need some positive comments from people that struggled with anxiety and bad depression. I took 25mg for 4 wks now taking 50mg and on day 16. I've been struggling lately. I'm starting to lose hope. I know I just started on 50mg but I've been feeling irritated, anxiety and depression is a little worse that come in waves and bad thoughts. before taking sertraline I was already dealing with bad thoughts and wanting to cry so bad out of the blue like a heaviness on my chest but feel like it's gotten more intense. I've been told it gets worse before it gets better. is that true? I dont get to see my psychiatrist until 29 days. I'm suppose to see her in 4 wks but shes booked so I'll be on 50mg for 8 wks until I see her. I'm thinking in asking her something to take off the edge of anxiety. I wonder if taking something for anxiety will ease my depression and thoughts. I need some hope please.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, ive been on 50mg for 2 years and yes it does definitely get worse before it gets better so hang in there. i couldnt leave the house for about 2 weeks i felt that anxious but give it time and you will soon be feeling much better.

• Posted

I'm sorry to say but they are right. it does get worse before it gets better. I started taking 25mg back in January. i've been on 50mg. for a little over 6 weeks and am just now able to go back to work. I'm not 100% but marked improvement. Believe me I know its hard to be patient, and its hard to keep yourself busy (which helps)

you will get better!!!!

I also take Trazodone 50mg at bed for sleep. zoloft gave me insomnia. my doc also gave me PRN Ativan which helped. I tried not to take it though.

Good luck to you

• Posted

hang in there , it will get better , i'm on 150 mg for over a month and i was feeling intense in my anxiety and deppression , my anxiety and thoughts are alot better since started week 5 but not like my normal self still but its better . my issue now is lack of excitiment and motivation .

will wait it out and will see .

• Posted

Hey There,

It will get better- honestly it took me almost 8 months or so to feel better and most like myself. It absolutely gets worse before it gets better, hang in there- read this when you need reassurance- this too shall pass--- this is not forever, it is just for now and for now may be longer than you want it to, but it is not forever.

remember they are thoughts, change them, you CAN! hang in there and try to get in sooner if it will ease your mind. contact your primary doctor if you feel you can. I took xanax .25 to help me get by....i didn't want to, but it really helped me. I hadn't driven in 2+ years and now i do- it will get better, stay focused and positive!!!!! XO

• Posted

hi

i also started sertraline 8 months ago now

like you i started on 25 and went uptp a 100

at first i was so up and down and didnt go work for 3 wks

tbh with you i have never felt settled on this med

my gp reduced me to 50 but still have bouts of anxiety which is now effecting my life

i am due to see a psycharist in couple of weeks

as i know they are qualified in anxiety and wats meds will help

before sert i was on citropram for yrs they were amazing not one side effect and was back to being me again but last july "bang " it all came back full force hence gp swapped me to sert

personaly this drug has mucked my brain up

i am also taking diazapam to help

i know they are addictive but i really dont care because if it wasnt for them i would be crawled up in a ball and not WANNA BE HERE ANYMORE

i cant wait ti see a therapist to sort my meds out

ps i have joined a wattapp grp a lovely day added me its a grp of all ages all sufferering with anxiety

if your interesred in joining i can ask her to add you

this grp has really helped me get though the bad days

x

• Posted

hi amber

we have a anxiety wattapp grp

everyone on there has anxiety of some sort

all ages and all lovely people

would you like me to add u ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.