Taking thyroxine without hypothyroidism

Posted , 5 users are following.

As my gp has some confusion over my diagnosis yet I'm still taking thyroxine I was just wondering what effect it would have on someone who isn't suffering from hypothyroidism?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You might get symptoms of hyperthyroidism. Check them out on Google. Why is your doctor uncertain?
  • Posted

Be very wary of taking thyroid hormones if you don't require them. I found this out the hard way and caused permanent damage to my thyroid when Dr's randomly put me on huge doses. Short term use at low dose is probably not going to do you considerable harm. Usually if I am over medicated I get a racing heart and struggle to sleep. You may also get hot or start losing weight (as the other person commented before me, symptoms of hyperthyroidism)

• Posted

The body will produce less of its own thyroid hormone when it detects the levels are optimal , so when you add thyroxine to your own then your thyroid will produce less , it's continuously balancing itself by detecting the levels that are circulating in your blood.

Unless you are taking a very high dose you should be ok, but if you take an excessive dose your body doesn't know how to remove the excess and you'll suffer hyperthyroidism untill the levels go back to normal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.