Taking venlafaxine correctly

Posted , 9 users are following.

Will taking the venlafaxine pill 150mg at night be the preferred method to take it, as for 15 years nearly Ive taken it in the day at lunch after eating.

​ However the day after exercising I ve been having brain fog, horrible headaches, low moods, lethagy poor, extreme anxiety.  

​  Will taking it at night help with these  awful symptoms thanks.

​ The label says take one at night but never looked it properly always assumed the same time every day was sufficient.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dylan. Perhaps u cud scale back on ur exercises a bit for a few days and see how U react to that. Easier to do that than to switch taking ur meds 12 hrs later. That might have a diff reaction than ur hoping for. You can always ask ur Doc or a pharmacist if you need reassurance. Enjoy ur day.
  • Posted

I take my venlafaxine in the morning as instructed on the label of my meds. If the label on your meds says take at night I would try that and see if the problem you're having is resolved. If you still have issues I would suggest you talk to your doctor about it. If you've been taking it for 15 years after lunch and have just recently had those symptoms, what if anything, has changed in your daily routine?

• Posted

Its recovering from exercising, think the exeffor is responsible as mood is very low and up down, the next day ( after exercise)   also cant lose weight drop below 18 stone, and higher cholestrarol is a side effect of exeffor for me as been exercising for years, regulary.
  • Posted

Effexor is usually a morning tablet because it can make you more active and not help sleep.

I tend to agree that I would be tapering back on the exercise and see how that goes. Exercise itself releases "feel good" stuff as I'm sure you know. This may have "overdosed" you somewhat.

I would also be seeing your doctor again and asking his advise. You may have told doctor you were not exercising as usual due to depression. Take medication feel better off on exercising regime again. The time you take tablet may have affected that also

I wouldn't try changing timing of medication as it is important it is taken at same time everyday.

• Posted

Hi Dylan,  Are you on the modified release?  If you are it won't matter when you take your meds.  I'm on modified release and take them in the morning (have done for 10 years). Stick with the exercise, it's better for you than the meds although if your general health is improving your absorption may be affected.  My best advice for brain zaps and fog is to take Omega 3, 6, 9 every day. It doesn't always keep it under complete control but it does make a massive difference.

Good luck!

Phyllis

• Posted

Extended release should never be taken at night. Not sure why label would so instruct. Venlafaxine disturbs sleep pattern and quality essentially compromising your overall stability and rate of recovery.

Exercise regime should be up to moderate until you adjust to new dose. However i am not clear on whether you are adjusting to new dose, new generic version of the drug or if you changed anything at all?

Are you sick with a cold or flu or recovering from one?

• Posted

Hi, I'm glad you have asked this question..... I am at present under the mental health crisis team... I get all my meds in a blister pack. For years venlafaxine XL has been in my night time meds. Along with Quetiapine. (Which has sedative properties) And without which, I would not sleep. The MHT have looked at my blister pack. As has a recent visit by a Phychiatrist. They have all said. That it is VERY strange that it has been prescribed to take it that way. As Venlafaxine, 'keeps you awake'. And have wondered why the Pharmacist has not noticed this. I'm in the UK. I rang the Pharmacist to explain, all this and he said my GP has to change it. But he also said it doesn't matter when I take it!! So, am confused, now!! However, for the last few days, I have changed it myself. To what the MHT said. It's to early to say, if It's madeany difference. But it does make sence!!. So, I can only tell you what I have been told. Take it in the morning. The leaflet says, take it after food. But, I never have. And I don't eat breakfast.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.