Talonavicular fusion and running again?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi I am considering having Talonavicular fusion however with pain killers and very careful planning I can get through the day reasonably OK as long as I avoid any impact which means no running jumping and wearing very soft footwear. I really missing running and mountain biking to the point I am willing to take a year out in recovery (I am 54 by the way) Can anyone give me some advice on the real benefits, will I truly be pain free? Will I actually be able to at least jog for a few miles? (I weigh 75kgs) Are there different ways the operation can be performed, which is best. Any advice or experiences would be very much appreciated.

1 like, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Simon I had talonavicular fusion with Achilles lengthening on October 18.

I have no pain or swelling in foot. I have one more week in boot. I will not be running but foot feels so much better.only complaint is foot is real stiff. Good luck

• Posted

I cant either, and be able to walk.  Im sooo excited. Lets all hope that i can be out of my cast friday morning when i go to my appt. Im feeling great, and my foot feels good. no pain, no nothing. i sooooooo cant wait to get out of this cast!!!
    • Posted

Praying that you will come out also on Friday. My app that is Thursday at 9.50am. LET me know how what happens.

• Posted

you too.  friday cant come soon enough. i want it here already!!! haha!! PLEASE LET me know how your appt goes also. 
    • Posted

Was the surgery on your right foot? Just wondering why you can't drive.

• Posted

Yes right foot. I got out of boot today. Took my right sneaker and put it on. Drove home. Foot only minimally swollen. Bones fusing together well.
    • Posted

Boot is off. Drove home, bones fusING nicely. Start Pt on Monday.
    • Posted

woohoo, congrats. thats wonderful. i go to the dr in the morning. cant wait. 
    • Posted

I am excited for you Sue. I am using walking cane for extra support. It felt good to have foot in a sneaker and on the ground. They advised to keep boot in car in case I go shopping at mall or doing a lot of walking. Will do. Swelling is minimal.
    • Posted

HI went to the dr today, and cast is off. in a boot. Cant put any weight on my foot for another month. All i have to do is sit on the couch, and do nothing. im so bored!!! been working on my candle business tho! The incisions look great, and i dont have any swelling.  Was sooooooooooooo happy to be able to get in a hot shower, sitting on the bottom of the step in shower in my moms room. will keep you all posted. 

sue

• Edited

Who had surgery the other day??? Are you doing ok, how did it go??? Thinking of you! hugs
    • Posted

Sue, I had surgery Monday morning. I'm doing great, as far as I can tell. I didn't need any pain killers until bedtime yesterday and I'm getting around well on my knee scooter. As you know, it's frustrating that every trip to the kitchen or the bathroom is a major production, but at least I can move. I spend most of my time on the recliner with my foot elevated using a foam elevation pillow. I've watched more TV in the last 4 days than in the last 16 years!

Thanks for asking!

• Posted

Hi Becky, 

IM s happy to hear your doing so well. Yay for you on the pain killers. I m not on any pain killers, and havent since probably the week of surgery.  Your so right about the major production with the knee scooter. Its a pain in the...

I went to the dr this morning, and im out of the cast, and in a boot, cant put any weight on my foot yet. Soooooo...im still crawling around, and the scooter, and dealing with it, and dont have the heavy cast on my foot anymore. yay!!!

Was finally able to take a REAL shower, even tho i sat on the bottom of the shower in my moms shower. It was wonderful. 

Isnt the couch/recliner, and Tv the best?? NOT!!!!

Im soooo over it!!!

Take Care 

• Posted

Sue hooray for you. Don't understand why you are still NWB. I could walk as long as boot was on.. At least you are making progress. Hang in there. Sue do you have a shower bench. It would getting in and out easier while you sit and shower.

• Posted

He doesnt want to rush the healing, and wants to make sure that its healing correctly. The bone isnt strong enough to walk on yet. we rushed it last time, and we want it to get stringer. I dont have a  shower bench. My mom had back surgery in mid december, and she has a toilet seat, and she has been using that in the shower. i know it sounds gross, but its clean. i didnt feel comfortable getting on it today. 
    • Posted

Ok Sue. I understand. Rushing things at this point. It would probably not be in your favor. Only a couple more w
    • Posted

Thats for sure. I hate being dependant on everyone.  3 1/2 weeks to go. well see. I go back feb 10. im over the scooter. i have ot admit tho, its awesome to have a real shower, and not lug the cast around. there are advantages to it all. 
    • Posted

Hello. I just came across this site because my podiatrist thinks I may need to have fusion in the future. Can anyone in the UK tell me how long the waiting period is, and how bad they got before being considered for the op? I cannot walk or weight bear without great pain despite therapy, massage etc. Thanks!
    • Posted

I am in the Us. I am not aware of any waiting period. If you can not walk or bear weight without pain, sounds like you are ready for surgery. I was in a hard cast, non weight for 6 weeks and then in a boot for 6 weeks. Total of 12 weeks non weight bearing. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks for that Angela and I'm glad it's going well for you. We have the amazing free NHS I'm the UK but there are long waits for non vital procedures - up to 18 months for a new hip, and that's after you've persuaded them you really need one! I'm 57 so they'll probably say I'm too young as well.

• Posted

HI everyone, 

So sorry i havent been around. Life has been crazy busy, and getting busier as summer approaches. Im leaving for kansas next week with my daughter. wanted to give you all an update.   I went to the dr back in April, everything is looking great. Told me not to go back for 2 months. Im back to walking normal again, no pain, and doing great. I do still baby it at times, but feeling soo much better.  hope all is going well for everyone. please stay in contact with me.  hope you all had a great mothers day or those of you who are moms. i sure did!!!!

• Posted

Hi Sheila, I'm from Lancashire and I was told the waiting list would be 2/3months and was 8 weeks to the day when I had my surgery. I had good weeks and bad weeks with my walking. When I was bad I walked with a limp all day and my pain was maybe 6/7 out of 10. I'm currently 12 weeks post surgery.

• Posted

How are u doing now I am 13 weeks post op from TN fusion and I am miserable rt now... I would like to find someone who I can talk to about it....

• Edited

I am 20 weeks post op now so am about 4 weeks ahead of you! I am in the UK.

• Posted

HIIIIII!!!!!! So glad to hear from someone!!! how is your progress...took me forever to find this forum again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.