Talonavicular fusion anyone?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm almost one week post op and wanting to connect with anyone having gone through or going through this treatment. I'm 50 years old living in NZ, always been fit and healthy but I have a congenital deformity in both feet and I've been in pain for years - particularly whilst walking. I am expecting to spend two weeks in a back slab cast taking it as easy as possible and then another 4 weeks in a fibreglass cast followed by 3 weeks in a moon boot taking some weight.... Not even one week post op and I'm already going crazy!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Not quite sure from your post if you feel surgery was a success or not. How long before you will be walking unassisted with either cast or crutches?

• Posted

I won't know if surgery was a success for some time I shouldn't think... Hopefully if all goes well I'll be off crutches within 7/8 weeks from now? Have you had this surgery?

• Posted

Hang in there It will get better

I didnt have surgery you did but I did have ankle surgery which put me out of commission for most of the summer

The first 4-5 weeks after surgery are a challenge but after that it does get better

Follow doctors instructions to do as little as possible first couple of weeks and give your body time to heal

All my best

• Posted

I had my fusion 10 sept. Its now 9 weeks.

First two weeks back slab - and total foot up rest

Then four weeks in fibreglass cast non weight bearing.

Fusion wasnt 100% so back in cast for 6 weeks and partial weight bearing.

Three weeks to go to get the thing off!

Unfortunately last week I got a pulmonary embolism as I was too static and stopped the blood thinners too soon. And pneumonia for good measure!

Now completely knackered and back on blood thinners and anti biotics.

No pain from ankle at any time but going crazy with the cast. The original pain has not resurfaced.

Only advice I can give is keep taking blood thinners - move around as much as you are able, and get out of the house if you can. Cabin fever will drive you mad!

I'm 67 years old.

• Posted

Sorry to hear this Keith. Did the surgeon say why fusion didn't work? and at what stage did they tell you..right at the end of your 6 week stint in a cast? That must have been hard to hear...

• Posted

Sometimes fusion doesn't work. Or its partial and needs longer. Key is non weight bearing for first 6 weeks. Mine's a partial fusion and needs a bit longer. Only seen by xray at 6 weeks.

Now at 9 weeks and am partial weight bearing with no pain.

Stopped the blood thinners at 6 weeks and wasnt active enough - mistake!

• Posted

I had an ankle fusion on 1st Aug. 2 weeks with a back slab, 5 weeks in a fibre cast and now I'm still in a moon boot. i thought i would have my boot off 2 weeks ago but it hadn't fully fused, so 4 more weeks in a boot. hopefully in2 weeks time it may come off.

the nonweightbearing was the worst, as hopping was hard and tiring. just before my cast was removed someone suggested a knee scooter..it wasnt worth getting one for a week, but with hindsight I would have bought one at the beginning. it would have been so much easier to get around. I am fortunate in that a relative loaned me a motability scooter and I am able to get out. I have a dog so I get out with him and my husband. I can now drive, now I'm in a boot,as I have an automatic car and it's my left ankle.

try to get out as much as you can, accept help from friends and relatives. the worst thing is being stuck inside being bored! it does get you down and you will have good and bad days!

I am 64 in the England.

I hope you have a good recovery. take care

Anne

• Posted

another tip, you can buy a waterproof leg cast cover from the pharmacy or amazon. completely leakproof so with a shower seat (again cheap on Amazon) you can shower. I have a small cubicle and have to sit with my leg sticking out, but works with plenty of towels on the floor!

• Posted

Great idea! I'm using a huge 'Biohazard Waste' bag given to me by the hospital which I tape around my leg and have it hanging out in all sorts of ridiculous positions. I can't wait to immerse my whole body into a nice warm bath!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.