Talonavicular post-op questions

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello. I just found out last month that the talonavicular joint in my left foot is bone-on-bone due to arthritis and bone spurs are being created. Surgery is my only option at this point but I'm worried about handling the post-op period. First, does "non-weight bearing" literally mean you can't put any weight on your foot ever? I'm thinking that I'll need to put weight on it momentarily for balance when standing from a sitting position. I've never been good with crutches so I anticipate using a knee scooter. Second, when driving, can the foot be on the floorboard? It seems that there would be some weight on it then. Finally, I've been reading these forums and many people have complained about losing leg strength. Is it ok to do leg exercises that don't involve weight bearing? I'm thinking about some of the ones that I did after my knee replacement where I was mostly moving the knees and legs while lying on the bed or sitting in a chair.

I understand that it will take about a year to fully heal, and that's ok. I've had heal spur removal w/tendon release in both feet and a knee replacement in the past so I'm used to slow recoveries. It's the immediate day-to-day things post-op that have me a little worried this time. I also keep my 2 and 4 year old grandsons quite often so I need to plan ahead. Any experience or advice that you can share would be welcome.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes non weight bearing means no weight, and get a trike as it was a blessing. The trike you can guide close to where you need to be and I had a seat that fit over the toilet with arm rests for getting up and down, I didnt seem to have much trouble with balance as you can pull trike up close and put knee of surg foot on it. This was my left foot so driving was not a problem its getting your trike or whatever you are using once you get to your destination in and out of vehicle. So someone had to b with me until 7 wks when they changed hard cast to flat bottom with a flip flop that attached to bottom then I could balance on it only. Yes you will lose muscle without use, but therapy gave me sitting exercises to at least keep thigh muscle like sitting leg lifts, side leg swings, knee lifts. Taking care of grandsons now that would be a hard question to answer as to how active they are and at first you arent going to want to do much of anything so have plenty to do and you will be on pain meds. I lost 30 pounds since this surgery but it was needed, but
    • Posted

sorry I hit a button before finished, So good luck and again have plenty to do as had a few crying spells during this and I am so glad to be up and moving around again. Merry Christmas to you and your family
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply! I have the higher toilet seats, but I hadn't thought about the arm rests for it. I'm sure I can get one of those. I also have one of those seat things for the bathtub. I'm more than a little clumsy so I was worried about falling if I couldn't put my foot down for balance. I may get the trike early and practice using it before the surgery. You have a Merry Christmas, also.

• Posted

Well I just went thru my second ankle replacement ( on same foot) and yes no weight bearing means none. It's good u have a seat for tub that's very helpful also knee scooters are great only way to get around also your grand kids will love them my two year old grandson loves to ride in it with me. Just becareful when u are taking turns sometimes u loss your edge and might try to put bad legs down. I have the three wheel type works great. And try to keep positive that's hard sometimes

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I hope your recovery goes well. Merry Christmas!

• Posted

Thanks so far so good just started putting 50% weight on it this week so a little sore, merry Xmas to u and yours
    • Posted

Becky, there is a lot of good advise here, so all I can add is: whatever equipment u use follow the safety instructions. My husband would constantly remind me "put on your brake". I thought he was a PIA but it paid off. I never fell. My girlfriend just recently got up out of bed, went to get on her scooter (she forgot that she hadn't put on the brake). The scooter moved & now she has humorous displaced & a fractured tibia on the same side as her recent fusions. She is a mess.

Just Please b careful. I loved my wheel chair, scooter, walker, boot - use each in good health.

Karran

• Posted

Thank you! I've worried about falling also. I think I will remember to put on the brake, but your story will certainly be a reminder.

• Posted

Hi, good luck! 

Non weight bearing means that you mustn't put weight on your injured foot at all, till your doctor says you can start weight bearing. This doesn't last for ever, it normally lasts from 6 to 8 or 10 weeks. 

Non weight bearing situations can be a real nightmare. I wasn't good with crutches either, besides when you have to be layed down all the time, it's not easy to stand up and balance on a pair of crutches.

About the knee scooter: I never had problems with my knees but I bought a scooter and didn't use it at all because it caused the knee on my injured leg to swell badly. I've read somewhere that knee scooter is not suitable for people who have knee problems, so just make sure that you can use one before buying one (maybe renting one would be a good idea). 

I've paid a lot of money for a sturdy knee scooter and I ended up using the wheelchair and a plain walker instead. 

It's nice to plan ahead if you can, to change the place of the furniture in your house, cook some dishes and store them in the fridge/refridgerator, arrange someone to clean your house, make a comfortable space where you will be able to rest and have your magazines, books, snacks close to you and most of think how you will reach the toilette the easiest way possible (maybe you need some helpful devices for the first days).

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I hope I can use the scooter, but maybe I should have a wheel chair on hand for a back up. Merry Christmas!
  • Posted

I don't think u will need wheel chair I never used one but if u feel more comfortable with one by all means get one. I just felt like it wasn't for me maybe a little vain lol

• Posted

Maybe I'll have one around "just in case." Fortunately, my church keeps a closet of stuff like that for people to borrow when needed so I won't have to buy or rent one.

• Posted

No, that's about the only thing they don't have so I'll have to buy or rent one. My insurance will cover most of it, though.

• Posted

Well that's good I borrowed one from a guy I know but now I have had it for almost a year so now I have to replace a lot of parts lol

• Posted

Hopefully neither one of you will need it again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.