Talonavicular surgery coming up,scared!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am due for surgery Feb 17 to have talonavicular joint fusion. I am very apprehensive about having surgery as I have never had any procedures done. Only 2 c sections which were both done with epidurals. Is this kind of surgery normally done with a general anesthetic? My husband had his hip replaced with a spinal block. Any advice would be appreciated.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

It's normal to be nervous. I was so nervous about my ligament repair that I didn't sleep for like a week beforehand, even though it was my second time having it done!

I was given the choice of spinal anesthetic or general anesthesia both times, and I chose general. The risks were about the same, but I've had general before so I figured I would go with that I knew (although the experience ended up being quite different! But in a good way!) So if you've got a good anesthetist, you should be given the choice and have each explained to you and any questions answered.

• Posted

I had talonavicular joint fusion on January 9. My doctor did use general anesthesia, but so did the doctor who replaced my knee a few years ago. Don't be shy about calling the doctor ahead of time with any questions that you have. I kept a list of things for a few days and called with a list about 10 days before the surgery. I got to the surgical center at 7:30 am and was out of there by just after noon. The doctor did a nerve block so I didn't feel much pain at all until the next afternoon. I would say that the pain was bad enough to need round-the-clock pain meds only for 2 or 3 days.

The things that I have that have really helped are a knee scooter that steers, a bathtub transition chair, and an elevation pillow. The pillow that I have is made of blue foam and has an indention that holds the leg secure, even in a cast. I got in on Amazon for around $50 or so. I thought it was expensive at the time but it has been worth it!

I was up and getting around on my scooter really well after a few days. I can do almost anything that I could do before, such as cooking, laundery and working online, but it takes a little longer and I sometimes have to stop and think about how to get the scooter in the best position for the job. I even kept my young grandsons over the weekend and was able to lift the younger one into a baby bed to change his diaper.

I still sleep with my leg elevated just because it seems to swell a little by the end of the day. I can drive but getting from the house to the car and in the car is a hassle. Because of arthritis in my hand and the fact that I can't put any weight at all on the surgical foot, crutches don't work for me for more than a few feet.

All in all, this hasn't been the nightmare that I was afraid it would be, but I have to admit that I'm ready to bear weight on my foot again. Hopefully, that will be in 3 more weeks. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you think of anything.

• Posted

I’m due to have to endure a replacement total ankle replacement after only four years and dreaded the difficulty of coping on my own at 75 yet again.

I've solved the mobility problem by getting an iwalk crutch and have been getting used to it ahead of time!

The iwalk enables one to walk with both hands free. It is not for everyone but for those who can manage it it is a godsend.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

I have one of those also, but I haven't mastered it yet. I'm glad that you've been able to. I just didn't have enough time and energy to get used to it ahead of time.

• Posted

I was thinking about getting one of these, but they're expensive and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to do it (my balance sucks)...

• Posted

If you decide to get one, go to ebay to buy it. They're about half-price there.

• Posted

I found that it's vital to take time to get it adjusted really right for you and to keep all three straps tight ALL THE TIME. You may find it helpful to add an extra layer of padding to the shelf and the strap that goes behind you knee.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

I looked there, but even at $75 it's wicked expensive IMO! Iif it were something that I could return, sure...but since it's a buy and keep item, without trying it, I'm not willing to spend that kind of money.

• Posted

They are twice the US price here in the UK but you can sell it on once you no longer need it so for getting rid of the alternatives and having mobility and actually using your leg safely I think its a no brainer. I cannot do the 30 second balance test but can manage easily around the house, walk up stairs and walk half a mile and this is still early days for me.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

WOW! Like I said, if I could try before buying I might be convinced...but without being able to do that, I can't, in good conscience spend that much money. And selling things like that on ebay is HARD to do as well! You buy it for $100 and can sell it for maybe $75 if you're lucky. Not worth the hassle if I didn't like it.

• Posted

Unfortnately it is not an easy surgery, be prepared to be no weight bearing for at least 10 weeks, get a knee scooter as thats the best for getting around, pain from the surgery is not bad at all it is the all the nerve spasms that will totally drive you crazy, I slept in a recliner as need to keep foot above heart and keep ice packs behing knee. Have plenty to do it can get quite depressing thinking you are not making any improvenment, its pretty much a week at atime. It is done with general anesthetic and a knee block is done. I am now 20 weeks out but I am 70 so getting back to normal takes alittle longer. I was so glad to get out of hard cast and into a partial weight bearing boot. So good luck and take pain meds just as ordered.
    • Posted

My doctor said NWB for 6 weeks, and I really hope it turns out that way. Ten weeks sounds more like forever. :-)  I hope your recovery continues smoothly!
  • Posted

Being afraid is not unusual. I was originally scheduled to have talonavicular fusion in August 29, 2016 UT was afraid. I got off operating table and went home. Rescheduled and had surgery on October 17, 2016. Surgery went well. I had a block al9ng with general anesthesia. Did not have excessive pain. Only took pain pills for 2 days. Shower transfer bench was useful. Also had need walker which was great to get around. I hated being idle for 6 weeks in cast and. 6 weeks additional weeks in boot. I need physical therapy for 3rd week with 2 more to do. I could do most things on the walker. Go ahead because the results of walking with no pain are great.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.