Talus Replacement after Fusion, afraid to walk

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was hit on my motorcycle by a drunk driver on my way to work in January. I have not walked since then, I am now 2 weeks post op from a 3D printed Talus replacement. I have been waiting on this day, and have been finally cleared to walk in a boot. I tried today and I am terrified of putting weight on my foot.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dom,

So sorry to hear about the accident and fingers crossed mate you'll soon be well on the road to recovery.

A quick question, I've been told that I need my right ankle fused due to having Avascular necrosis of the Talus bone. I've done some research in regards to 3D full Talus Replacement but it seems like its only available in the US.

Can you advise if your procedure was done in the US or Europe. I'm pretty certain its not yet available in the UK and I am keen to have this procedure rather than having it fused.

Grateful for your thoughts

John.

• Edited

Hi Dom,

How is your 3D talus working out for you? I did a lot of research and almost had the surgery to have a 3D talus implant. But my surgeon convinced me he could save my talus bone through an autograft procedure using my bone/marrow from my iliac crest (hip). I had a very large bone cyst inside my talus (which ended up being benign). They had to break (cut) my tibia at the medial malleolus and remove it to access the talus so they could access and clear out the cyst inside the talus. It has been a very difficult recovery. I keep wondering if I made the right decision. I have been in a cast and an air boot for the last 6 weeks and have at least 4-6 more weeks in the air boot where I will begin partial weight bearing next week if my X-rays show that my bones have healed. They also placed 3 screws in my medial malleolus to hold it together. It has been a long, painful road so far. Foot surgery alone is pretty awful, and having the procedure done on my hip at the same time made it even more awful.

How long was your recovery? Did you have to wear a cast or a boot? Were they able to do the surgery without breaking your tibia (medial malleolus)? How has was your pain, initially? And how was your pain after you started walking? What about your range of motion with the new 3D talus?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.