Talus surgery recovery, weight bearing question.

Posted , 4 users are following.

i broke my talus ans completely snapped my ATFL april 30th playing basktelball. i had surgery may 23rd and am now six weeks post op surgery. doc told me i can start to weight bear. i have doing partial weight bearing in the boot with crutches but it hurts!! its hard trying to convince my brain that im not doing any damage. is it normal for it to hurt this much? in the heel ans achilese and on top of my foot is where it hurts the most. anyone have similar experiences?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Heyyyy, I am right there with you. I shall be following this discussion closely!- Di

• Posted

how did you hurt your ankle? and how many weeks post op are you?

• Posted

Hi J,

I slipped on tiny gravel & fell into a deep ditch . Snap, crackle , pop, went my left ankle. It was immediately horribly dislocated & made me sick to my stomach to look at it.

I am into my 7th week post op. BTW, I took a chance and soake d in espom salts yesterday. That really seems to help. Also, after a great deal if stumbling around on the internet, I made a salve using vaseline (clean container) and clove bud oil. I spread it all around entire ankle and foot. Stung a bit at 1st for sure. Propped leg up with fan blowing on it during the stinging time. I declare that seems to have helped the entire ankle and angry scabs. -Di

• Posted

that sounds terrible! ill have to give the epsom salt bath a try though! seems like the worst is behind you though!

• Posted

hey Jrozz,

in a word, yes its normal.

im 13 weeks post injury/surgery and started weight bearing at 6 weeks as well.

i had pain in almost the exact places you are describing.

there is a bunch of stuff happening at the same time:

• sensory input after 6 weeks of almost none so those deep nerves are freaking out! i would sit on couch and just put pressure into the foot on the ground to help with that.
    • muscle loss . so much muscle loss. all the tiny foot muscles and the calf have atrophied over 6 weeks of non use so its going to hurt to use while they build back up
    • tendons, tissues are going to get jammed up from being stuck in a cast/boot and from the swelling
    • you are also probably putting way more pressure through your heal causing the heal pain - my physio has these pads you stand on and measures the ratios of balance (an extremely fancy version of the wii balance board) and when i first started wb i was putting 90% of my weight through my heal when standing on two feet. it was a unconscious thing but looking back it was probably a balance issue. i had to train myself to shift my weight throughout my foot .

if you can, get a good physio

massage the foot and calf to get movement back into it.

try walking in a pool as it is a lot easier at first and helps build those muscles back up.

• Posted

thank you for your input. that all makes alot of sense! i start pool therapy tomorrow. im really looking forward to it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.