Tamsulosin/Flomax

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am beginning to suspect my kidney damage was caused by tamsulosin. Has anyone else had kidney problems after perhaps prolonged usage?

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Ian I've been taking Tamsulosin since I was 36 and I am 53 now. Only 0.4mg daily. I've never had kidney problems. Other side effects like Anejaculation is the worst for me. I am looking into other medications now with less of a side effect. It was interesting to read about the dry eyes. I get them badly and thought I was suddenly alergic to my cat. I got of the Tamsulosin for 2 weeks and the eyes felt amazing. Unfortuneately the Alfuzosin I tried was not for me and worse sides than Tamsulosin.

• Posted

Would love to know if you find any alternative to tam and alfuzosin. What side effects did you have with alfuzosin?
    • Posted

Hi Rich, I was so optimistic trying it too. In two weeks the BPH symptoms were not dealt with at all. I was up 4 or 5 times a night. Awake or askeep I had to go every 2 hours. I'm usualy up twice a night on Flomax. The orgasms on Alfuzosin were bizarre. I was much more sensitive, and able to achieve but it almost oozed out rather than shot out and felt like it was lasting a long time. Not all bad but just felt so strange. I imagine it was retro grade ejacualtion and I had not experienced it as yet. I was also very low energy but that may be from not sleeping well. I also felt a UTI coming on which may or may not have been from not being able to empty the bladder properly. I drank a ton of cranberry and it got better or going on flomax made it better.

Was 2 weeks long enough to evaluate? It was for me. I'm not sure my body would have adjusted better to it over more time. Pharmacist said I'd know in a week if it was working.

I tried to get a prescription for Doxazosin and my urologist gave me Hytrin (Terazosin) instead. Said they are virtually the same but I doubt that. He likely makes more on Hytrin. LOL. I'm only going to start it in a couple of weeks as I have a vacation coming up and not willing to risk new sex issues.   

• Posted

Ah, those two are blood pressure meds. I have borderline low bp, so probably not something I would monkey with, but I'd be interested to hear how you do with it. Have a good vacation!

• Posted

Wow! Many thanks for all you guys for responding so quick and so much. Much appreciated. I hope you wont mind my not responding to each one, as there are so many.

From all your responses, especially those taking tamsulosin for many years and not noticing any kidney problems. This in one way sets my mind at rest but leaves me with a problem.

My kidneys were fine, even after I'd had systemic chemo for my bladder cancer 8 years ago. Then something happened in the next few years that caused one of my kidneys to atrophy. Seemingly no problem, as one kidney can do all the work. Then about 3.5 years ago I started to loose the other one. However, it started to recover just about when I stopped taking the tamsulosin, but worsened again just recently when I went back on it. 

But from all your replies, it would seem this timing between my kidney trouble and taking tamsulosin is just a coincidence and I have to look elsewhere for the possible source of my problems.

Thanks again guys.

• Posted

I understand your concern. Would it be possible to test the correlation again by going off tam and seeing if the kidney problem improved again?
    • Posted

Yes, that is exactly what I am now doing. I'm a self-tracker, monitoring many aspects of my lifestyle daily, tho' for things like kidneys and cancer I only do that once a month or so. I've now stopped tam again and will do a test in ten days or so and see whether my kidney markers are improving.

• Posted

Good luck with that! I suppose it might be for the best if it turns out that the tam was causing the problem.
    • Posted

Thanks Rich. I'll try to remember to post here whatever happens

• Posted

20,525 people reported to have side effects when taking tamsulosin (Flomax). Among them, 407 people (1.98%) have Renal Failure. Time on Flomax when people have Renal Failure:  6 - 12 months: 53.33 %, 1 - 2 years: 20.0 %.  You can report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for that James. Seems from this that I may be one of those small percentage for whom tamsulosin is not good.

Could you let me have the link to the data you posted please?

• Posted

Hi James,

Thanks for your posting. I have'nt seen this on the websites listings of side effects for tamsulosin (Flomax) that I have looked at. I too would be very interested in a link to this data. Very concerning. 1.98% is a large number!

• Posted

Hi James,

I did some poking around and found the source of the data you reported at a web site called ehealthme com. I'n not a scientist, but I suspect that there might be a problem here with assuming causality from the correlation reported. I'm hoping someone with a science background can jump in here and explain it better. What comes to my mind with this data is if they had asked respondents to report which movie they had seen in the past year, maybe 2% would have seen Ghostbusters. But we wouldn't assume that taking the Tamsulosin had caused them to see that particular movie.

• Posted

Hi James,

Just sent you a further reply, but for some reason, the moderator needs to approve it, and that could take several hours. I'll summarize it here. I found the source of the data that you reported. I'm not a scientist but I think there might be a problem assuming causality from the reported correlation. I'm hoping someone with a science background can explain this better than I can, but here's my attempt: They could have asked the respondents what movie they had seen this year, and 2% might have responded "Ghostbusters". I don't think we could assume that taking Tamsulosin caused them to see that particular movie. I could be wrong about this, hope ther's someone who can address this better than me.

• Posted

Hi James,

I've checked several links to that website (I forbear to mention it, 'cos it seems this moderator autmatically stops anything with a website ref - very frustrating, even if understandable), but I cannot see the data you reported. Maddening.

• Posted

Hi Ian,

I found his reference on a website, but you're correct about getting waylaid if you mention a website. See my previous post about my concerns regarding the data. It appears the data is not from a  scientifically designed study, but from an internet based survey.

• Posted

Oh, I found the reference by googling "407 people (1.98%) have Renal Failure"

• Posted

Damn! Of course, Thanks Rich - I have now found it too.
    • Posted

Hi Rich,

In the absence of any other data, it'll have to do for now. But I'll keep digging.

• Posted

My thoughts, for what they're worth: Pending hearing from a science type person about this data, it seems kidney problems are not a reported side effect of tamsulosin. That doesn't mean at all that there isn't some connection with you. Bodies are quite unique. I think the self-testing that you are planning to do (going off tam in 10 days) is a really good idea to try and figure out what is going on. Here's wishing great health for you!

• Posted

Whilst you may be correct re research studies re kidney & tamsulosin, the warnings that come with my version do say:"Take special care with tamsulosin if you have been found to suffer from severe kidney problems". So this must be based on something.

• Posted

Interesting. I haven't seen that. I stand corrected. Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.