Tamsulosin Hydrochloride

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on Tamsulosin 0.4mg for over three years now for enlarged prostrate(BPH) and urine retention . I have been ok using it with urine flow and better evacuation etc.

Recently my GP suggested a combination dose of Tamsulosin 0.4mg with Dutasteride 0.5mg. He said this is better for BPH and improves urine stream flow, reducing frequent urges to urinate (especially at Night), reduces dripping and also helps shrink prostrate as bonus!

I am reaching out to wider audience to understnd your experience with this combination . I am concerned having read that research by Northwestern University in US has suggested that prolonged use of Dutasteride can cause persistent erectile dysfunction in some cases , even for months and years after stopping the drug.

Please share your valuable experince at earliest to help me decide whether I should continue with the combo or stick to Tam. only!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there you might be interested in a new surgery little invasion that live you with a sex life healthy.

It's called uro Lift. Google it.

I just started looking into it. I am changing my diet and life style and refused to take medication.

Good luck

• Posted

I am trying to avoid surgery unless extremely necessary and would prefer to do with medicines.

thank u for yr resonse.

• Posted

Hello there s43429,

I too have been on Tamsulosin for several years and, after being on it for about 18 months, when its efficacy seemed to wane, I was prescribed not Dutasteride but its sister drug Finasteride which, I believe, works in a similar way, i.e. shrink the pesky prostate. I have now been taking it, along with Tamsulosin, for just over two years. I also take Mirabegron. With regards to the Finasteride I found within two or three months of starting it that my libido was greatly reduced and ejaculate also. Over time the volume of my ejaculate has reduced to zero and I now, on the rare occassions I feel like sex, experience dry orgasms. I do not have a problem getting or maintaining an erection but my desire for sex is almost none existent whereas before starting Finasteride I enjoyed, what I considered, a normal sex drive. I was informed by my uroligist that these drugs can only reduce the volume of the prostate by about 25% so, even at best, they will not return it to its original size. I would say that if you are happy with just the Tamsulosin, and it is still helping you, then do not take anything else. The fewer drugs the better in my opinion. Only take something else if your current treatment is, as mine was, losing its efficacy.

Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.