Tamulosin vs. Afulosin

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been taking Tamulosin twice a day for 10+ years. Wondering if Afulosin would be a better choice?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

For most Alfuzosin has a better side effect profile (esp. w/ regard to retrogade ejaculation). Probably similar effectiveness.

My uro confidentially told me that he chose Alfuzosin for himself.

• Posted

Hi, of course all drugs have the potential nasty side affects and google is very helpful in comparing, I used tamulosin for 1 month for my prostate bph approx 2 years ago and just recently for the first time after ditching coffee without reducing it slowly I had unexpected head aches and flashing across the corner of my right eye like vertical lighting lines running downwards, if I recall correctly one of the potential side affects of Tamulosin when undergoing an operation is retina detachment and 1 of the symptoms leading up to retina detachment is flashing in the eye which can lead to blindness. I am not saying Tamulosin caused my eye issues, I had also used Afulosin for 1 month about 18 months ago, and from a must use drugs scenario I found both worked well but I preferred the option with the less risks, from an all encompassing point of view you may not know that the longer one leaves off the often inevitable prostate surgery the more damage one does to ones bladder and kidneys and in my case I am very glad I chose FLA with Dr K in Texas to solve my enlarged median lobe bph however because I left it too long I still have to pee more frequently than I would like despite my now improved good flow if I had left it any longer I hate to think what permanent damage may have occurred and remember if you have a flow restriction don't try to push the urine as that will damage your bladder and kidneys-all the best to everyone reading this.

• Posted

I've tried both, it's true less side effects with regards to RE, but I found Alfuzosin lowers my blood pressure or something like that, because I found it hard to run, walk up steps without my heart beating fast. I suppose you could try it and see how it goes, just take it before you go to bed, first time I took it I made the mistake of taking it and going out for dinner, had a couple of glasses of wine with dinner and I fainted - they say the first time you take it to be careful.

• Posted

I'm on alfusion now. ive been on it fir 2 months. first time

i took it at night before bed time when i got up to pee i was in bathroom and the room was spinning and i went down. didnt faint but it was really bad!!

im on the uro scheduel for surgery on may for aquablation..,,,

im still on the fence but everytime i pee its a strain

and i'm worried whats going to happen to happen to me fir future.. i am 60 and real worried about what to do to perserve my sex life and not cause more problems in my life......

• Posted

Leon are you asking me? If you're 60 and maybe you should consider learning how to self cath - plenty of info on this site.

I don't know much about aquablation, who is doing it?

• Posted

Agreed re self cathing option. It's much easier than it seems at first - and i think much healthier than the drugs and procedures they've come up w/ to date (risk/reward profile). The best one I've found is coloplast speedicath male compact.

• Posted

Hi Leon,

hope you don't mind my reply to your concerns, I have a younger wife and did not want to entertain any disadvantages when I was deciding in my case an inevitable surgery option along with not wanting to damage my bladder and kidneys so after much research despite the cost I chose FLA which is like a dream come true-No side affects, no pain during or after, everything is great!

• Posted

Hi Brian,

That's great. When was your procedure? Did you have an enlarged median lobe?

Thanks and best of luck!

• Posted

Hi Arlington,

my procedure was Dec 2017 by Dr Karamanian in Houston Texas, yes I had an enlarged median lobe and after my FLA Dr K said he also removed some tissue near my urethra, its been nothing less than a miracle, just what we would hope modern technology could and should do, I had no pain during or after, no side affects, everything is normal and great, what many do not appreciate is how precise FLA is - so accurate they can come as close as 1mm to a nerve without harming it which is why they can avoid harming anything important so that the median lobe can be relieved without harm to anything, it is done while you are in the mri machine it is not a general anesthetic,no hospital stay, simply have 1 week with a catheter then all is back to normal! ps I cant say enough about Dr K he and his team are very good and so helpful Dr K and his assistant Donnie are excellent, I flew from New Zealand to Houston to avoid the risks often associated with other options especially turp.

• Posted

Nice to hear Brian - Dr Karamanian is a special guy

• Posted

Thanks a lot, Brian. I'm getting closer to taking the plunge!

• Posted

Hi Arlington,

your very welcome my friend, my experience with bph started slowly and I fell into the trap that all urologists preach which is usually to go down the drug path first, but they don't often tell you things they should like be aware of the drug side affects, don't try to push the urine out to reduce the bladder and kidney damage, know fully whats involved in the surgery they offer and the consequences when it goes wrong, know what other options even if they conflict with there wallet, know to use only a very experienced surgeon regardless of their qualifications, know that as bph worsens the misery of relentless broken sleep and relentless toilet trips and the horrific pain of what happens when you wait too long and then finally when you get to a toilet how excruciating the pain is to finally pee, it goes on and on until finally you start searching for the least invasive and most promising option out there depending on each ones particular issue, so all the best my friend!

• Posted

Hi John recently I started tamsulin for Enlarge prostate ... did u get any side effects when u started means any dullness or sleeping early ... I m getting dullness is it just initial symptoms may be it will go with the time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.