Tanning beds

Posted , 7 users are following.

i was told by a friend it i layed in the tanning bed every day that it would dry up the white spots i have on my back plus i have them all over my legs. i have quit using my steroid because it wasnt helping. i no longer have it on my cooter or butt for a change but they have really popped out on my legs . they are white and look like i have a grit on top. so can anyone please help me. i have had 4 biopsy all ready to make sure i dont have cancer. AND it sure has not been fun at all .i need all the help anyone can give me itchy from nc

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I would encourage you to go back to your doctor and find out why your steroid is not working. There are options like different strength, different schedules, different base (gel vs ointment vs cream) and there are different medicines. Many, including me, are having very good luck adding tacrolimus to the mix.

The problem with just abandoning medical treatment is that you are leaving yourself vulnerable to cancer. I'm glad you don't have it yet, but leaving LS untreated is not only uncomfortable, but it is risky. There is a video available...google on healthed optimising management of lichen sclerosus ...watch at least the first 7 minutes.

• Posted

SnappyCat I agree with your advice - go back to doctor. and thank you for this video which is really informative and encouraging. Most of us know to keep up with steroid application as advised and this just shows why it is important.

• Posted

Clicking brought me to a Patient page on LS, not to a video. Is there a link to a video on that page that I missed?

• Posted

hi Beverly - I googled 'health optimising management of lichen sclerosus' and got the page. I would paste the link but moderators would prob block it.

Well worth watching even though a lot of it we already know. I found it encouraging in that we can manage LS provided we continue to use steroids sensibly for lifetime. I will try and PM you.

• Posted

Beverly, if you copy the following words:

healthed optimising management of lichen sclerosus

and then paste them into your browser search engine (google, or whatever), you should find the video. DON'T try to click on links from the words from this comment. You have to do the search because this website won't allow us to put links into our comments.

This is a video of a scientific researcher presenting her findings at a medical conference. It is a large study and is THE basis for how we treat our disease.

• Posted

Im unsure about the tanning bed advice. i do know it is effective for lichen planus as that was advice given to a friend of mine from her doctor.

I am also unsure about how it is spreading all over your body.... i didnt know lichen sclerosis would do that.

stick to the steroids even if you feel they arent working. seek your doctor and maybe try steroid tablets.

• Posted

Brenda,

Are you sure the leg spots are LS? They could be a depigmentation issue with loss of melanin in the skin. Do not use the tanning bed for this as that is intense radiation and radiation is not something you want to apply to lichenified skin. How long have you been using the steroid? You say it is gone from the butt and genital region so, did the steroid make it go away? What else have you put on the legs? Can you scrape off the "grit" on top? Are you sure these are not yeast infection spots? What else have you put on them?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.