Tapentadol weight loss

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I started on Tapentadol about 2 months ago, started on 50mg twice daily, increased to 50mg morning + 100mg at night as it wasn't doing enough to control pain at night. Before starting I had to come off the meds I had been taking, Amytriptaline and Pregabalin.

I know that both of these drugs caused weight gain so I expected to lose a little weight but I have lost 21 lbs in 6 weeks and still losing! Has anyone else experienced significant weight loss with this drug?

I do find it makes me very nauseous, especially in the mornings so my appetite has reduced a little but enough to cause this amount of weight loss.

At the moment i'm not unhappy about losing weight, but I am a bit worried that it hasn't stopped by now. My GP is very concerned, he doesn't think Tapentadol should cause such extreme loss so I have to have a number of tests. Trying not to worry, hoping that this is a common side effect?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, yes I was on it for 2 yrs and lost 2.5 stone and could not gain the weight back, I also stopped eating well but it was gradual and didn't realise I had a problem to begin with. I was on 300mg per day, I would also like to add that I went through withdrawals from this last year so please be careful you can become tolerant very quickly😊 

• Posted

Thank you Caroline, I am reassured that this isn't necessarily uncommon. Have had loads of bloods done today just to rule out any other underlying issues but hopefully it is just simply the meds. I get what you are saying about withdrawel, I had quite a bad time withdrawing from my previous meds to start this one so I expect this to be the same if/when I ever come off it. neutral

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.