Taper after only two weeks ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I've been on mirtazapine for only two weeks. Started at 3.75mg and increased to 7.5 mg after one week. My tinnitus and ear fullness is now so bad I want to stop. Would I need to taper after only two weeks on such a low dose ????

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Hello, I'm not an expert on this although I've been tapering off this med for 3 years now. The thing is that i only took Remeron/ Mirtazapine (same thing lol) for almost a month, 4 days to be exactly a full month and look how long it has taken me to fully come off this pill. Now im not saying you should do that, because everyone is different( and to be honest, ive been questioning myself whether i did right on extending it for soo long or if i made a big mistake) but I DO say that coming off antidepressant should be done carefully because they are a back stabber, you may think you are doing okay with it and next thing you know it turns against you and turns into pure hell. I DID follow a fully guide on how to taper off this med the "safe" way and they DID told me that even if it was for a week, i should be careful with stopping it cold turkey, so my suggestion is to look up for some group on facebook to help you out or a forum about tapering or stopping antidepressant because i would not recommend you something without knowing how you are going to react on it.

hope you do find a answer and everything turns better for you becaue if you can save yourself of this nightmare we who have been tapering off for sooooo long been into, plz do so, its horrible. XoXo

• Posted

Hi

Just go back down to 3.25mg for 1 week and then off totally and you should be fine. You may have some mild insomnia or broken sleep for a week but based on the length of time and the dose you have been taken Mirtz that should be about it. You can take valarian root (tastes nasty) found in any health shop or nytol found in any chemist to help with any disrupted sleep patterns because 7.5mg is the most sedative dose. I was on 15 mg for 2 years and tapered off twice this year by going down to 7.5mg for 4 weeks then 3.25mg for 2 weeks then off. That would be considered a relatively fast taper for most people based on the period of time I was on it but everyone reacts differently. If you have to go back up to 7.5mg for 1 night to get a proper nights sleep as I did, that's ok, just go back down to 3.25mg the following night. My tinnitus was gone after about 2 weeks and my sleep was back to normal 7 hours a night and awake at 8am after 4 weeks but remember I was taken Mirtz for 2 years. Tapper is the key word for anyone trying to get off this drug. Good luck with it.

• Posted

How are doing now? I hope you are doing well. Please let us know. You got this.

Tommy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.