Taper, Celexa, The journey begins

Posted , 3 users are following.

15 years of 10 to 20 mg Celexa for Anxiety. I think it was a Thyroid problem, and I had it removed (cancer, I'm fine). Time to stop Celexa. I'll try to journal my progress here. Week 1: begin 10 mg on Monday. Week 2: 10 mg on Monday. Read forum here about tapering. Seems like almost 50% of people have bad symptoms that come AFTER the last dose. See comments on this site. This tells me that the brain may take a much, much longer time to detox and reboot/withdraw and reset/function without the SSRI. So... I'd like to take about a year to do this. My doctor supports this. At first, she said I could do it in 6 weeks. I said that I'm taking a year because of the scary things I've read about withdrawl. I'm thinking of 20 mg daily (my current dose) with 10 mg on Mondays, but I think the 10 mg should be every 2 weeks. There are no studies of people who took Celexa for as long as I have. Please show me if you know of any. Ok, here we go. I'll post any reactions to the reduction in medication. If you have any suggestions for tapering, please post. Oh, 1 idea I had was to find a Compounding Pharmacy that could make tapered amounts, but it seems to me I need to give my brain time to adjust to not having Celexa. Thoughts?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, if you're considering tapering I strongly advise you to visit the Surviving Antidepressants website for their advice. They are taking new registrations this month I believe, no charge, their advice in invaluable. Good luck!

• Edited

Hello. I've read your post and wish to make comment as a retired medical professional.

With your Thyroid removed you've been provided with synthetic levothyroxine, correct? And I would assume that prior to surgery that you had at some point been evaluated with hyperthyroidism that was somehow being misinterpreted as anxiety, followed by treatment with the Celexa. Would this be a correct assumption? Initially, I'd be interested to know whether early clinical lab studies were performed regarding TSH, T3 & T4 levels at any point in time to determine thyroid function.

My primary point to the above comments is that you'll be dealing with two factors simultaneously, one being a taper of the Celexa while simultaneously maintaining the most stable dose of levothyroxine. It's important to understand that a synergistic effect of these medications may arise as you begin to taper from the Celexa and since you no longer have a thyroid gland, the stability of mood regulation is to some extent being influenced by the level of synthetic hormone levothyroxine that is keeping thyroid function within the normal range. Lastly, in this context, the use of Celexa to target anxiety is what is known as an off-label use of the drug, which is more commonly designed to treat clinical depression. So mood regulation may not necessarily produce the expected effect and could potentially result in potential bouts of clinical depression. The reason for this is because Celexa is designed to up-regulate serotonin.

I point out the above scenario because the actual reaction by your brain to gradual reductions in Celexa is that the brain must begin to produce stable and proper levels of the neurotransmitter serotonin. The brain is very unique in that if artificial neurotransmitters are introduced via medications, the brain responds by down-regulation of its own production of the natural neurotransmitters. When the artificial neurotransmitters are diminished by taper to the extent of termination, the brain is responding by way of reconstituting manufacture of ample levels of the natural form in order for homeostasis, or normal regulation and function, to be achieved. While this can be accomplished largely through the effects of careful tapering of such drugs, it's merely important to remember that a secondary influence is at hand in the way of levothyroxine and its impact upon mood regulation.

While the SSRI Paroxetine imparts a more serious interaction with levothyroxine levels, it merely warrants concern with respect to the SSRI Celexa because tricyclic antidepressants are more often the drug of choice to be used in combination with levothyroxine. As you proceed with tapering from Celexa, it may simply be wise to ask your physician whether close monitoring of thyroid function would be wise until the taper is complete.

I simply want to point out this issue since your taper from Celexa is not one being performed in isolation from other circumstances that may or may not play a role.

Best regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.