Tapered off. 1 month off citalopram, anxiety back

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I had been on citalopram for about 8 years but decided I wanted/needed to taper off due to realising some medical issues I'd been having might be due to being on it for so long.

I went from 20mg to 15mg, then 15-10, then 10-5, 5-2.5, 2.5 to zero all allowing for month for each. At zero I was doing ok for the first few weeks but with some side effects that weren't too bad (slight fatigue, odd zaps, dizzyness) but then at 3 weeks the anxiety came back. I am wondering how long this would last, have seen some people say it could be over 6 months, which I didn't realise.

I think I have decided that because I have some holidays coming up in a month I will pop back on to the lowest dose 2.5mg. I am wondering if I have enough time to stabilise back again, does anyone know how long it takes if you've been off it for a month?

Kind regards,

Will

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Hi Will, don't look back,only go forward. Make that commitment that antidepressants are gone forever. The last smallest dosages have the greatest effects, that's why the longest amount of time tapering should be taken with the last 10mg as you correctly done. Going back on , however small,will probably just cause more complications after being off a month. I have been off antidepressants now for over 6 months,the first time in 32 years of a cycle of being on and off all the SSRI'S for anxiety,and unable to stay off for more than 6 months on every occasion after withdrawal. This has been seen as a relapse of the original condition by doctors,medical professionals and patients over the years,but is now being revealed by certain pychiatrists that this is actually part of withdrawal and dependency on the drugs,and as you rightly said,can take many months or even a year or more, especially the longer you have continuously taken an antidepressant. It takes time for the brain to accustom to not having a drug do the work for it. I see it as after having a broken leg we never threw the crutch away,and developed a dependency on using a stick to hobble around on. Now we have to get used again to life without a stick to rely on and it does hurt but is necessary. There is a website,Surviving antidepressants that's worth looking at,and there are many techniques and strategies out there now that can be looked into on the internet that provides relief from anxiety naturally. Mindfulness, meditation, exercise,walking in nature ,gym and diet,breathing techniques and especially rewiring the anxious brain through neuroplasticity are all things I am using to stay off antidepressants for good. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Ian, thanks for the response, I will try and persevere. I think I was a bit naïve in thinking that once tapered off then that would be it. It's disheartening to discover the struggle ahead.

• Posted

Hi Will. Yes coming off antidepressants, especially after a very long period, is just the beginning of another phase of getting rid of the dependency on medication and learning properly to manage your anxiety.

As I said, I have experienced this withdrawal and dependency many,many times over the last 32 years,and always put it down to my own self condition only. Now I know from other people who have realised and are going through it,and professional mental health workers who have recognised it,I can face it and get through it, however long it takes. I experienced the usual 3 months of tapering withdrawal until I was off completely,but that wasn't the end if it. Now in the last 6 months since,I can feel the different phases my brain is going through in getting accustomed to being without drugs,but there's no going back. I have heard people taking a very long time,but they also said it was the best thing they done. To me, it's taking back control of my mind,free of drugs and side effects and emotional dulling that comes from long term use. Get in touch with people who are going through the same thing for support,the same as on these forums where people are suffering going on meds,like the surviving antidepressants website,and there is plenty of information on YouTube if you look about antidepressant dependency. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.