Tapered Off Cymbalta to Fast?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnose as having Post-traumatic demoralization syndrome (PTDS)  and Anxiety/Panic Attacks. I have been experiencing this since the age 16. "I am 29 yrs old now. I currently see a therapist and attend groups.

I have been doing good with not having major panic attacks. I would  become very anxious time to time but nothing I couldnt handle. I thought I was ready to begin tapering off of cymbalta. I use the count bead method. Ive been doing this for 7 months. I think I am going to fast because yesterday I had a major attack. 

I have been questioning myself. Am I really ready to be off this? Am I tapering to fast? 

Have any of you try to taper off your medication and if so, did things become worst?

Maybe my body isnt ready..I just dont know.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

What's the count bead method? How quick does that get you cutting down? Jo

• Posted

Cymbalta comes in 20 mg, 30 mg, and 60 mg capsules. 

Cymbalta is tricky to taper. It does not come in liquid form and cannot be compounded into a liquid. To protect the drug, each bead inside the gelatin capsule has an enteric coating to protect the drug from stomach acid, which would destroy the drug. (It is absorbed further down in the digestive tract.) The pellets cannot be dissolved in any liquid without destroying the active ingredient.

You cannot crush the pellets  or dissolve them in a solution -- the drug would never get into your system, it would be destroyed in your stomach and you would have immediate cold-turkey withdrawal.

Of course, the range of dosages from the manufacturer is inadequate for very gradual tapering.

Reduce by 10% per month to start

As with any neurologically active drug, a conservative taper is the safest way to go off Cymbalta. Some people find they can go faster and some people find they have to go slower -- they can only tolerate decreases of a fraction of a milligram at a time.

A conservative taper for Cymbalta, like other psychiatric drugs is: Reduce by 10% per month, calculated on the last dosage. (The amount of the reduction gets progressively smaller.)

The bead-counting method

Like Effexor XR, some people have tapered by opening the Cymbalta capsule and taking out the beads to gradually reduce the dosage. (Seehttp://survivinganti...ndpost__p__2985 for the technique.)

You can do this if you have brand-name Cymbalta or generic capsules containing hundreds of tiny beads rather than 4-12 "mini-tablets"

The number of tiny beads in each Cymbalta capsule will vary within a given dosage, across dosages, and from different manufacturers. The capsules are filled by weight. To find an average number of beads per capsule, you will have to carefully count the beads in several capsules. Then you can estimate how many beads amount to  10% of the dosage and manage your taper accordingly by keeping notes on paper showing the number of beads removed and equivalent Cymbalta dosage.

Take out 10% of the beads at each step of the taper. Put unused beads into a clean, dry, capped prescription bottle marked with the dosage of the original capsule and expiration date. You might want to use them later. Do NOT mix beads from capsules of different dosages, such as 30mg and 60mg.

NOTE When you are taking loose beads, put them in an empty capsule to swallow them. Gelatin capsules and vegetarian capsules are available at health food store. there have been some instances of the beads causing throat irritation when swallowed without a capsule.

Dividing Cymbalta beads into empty gelatin capsules

Opening capsules and weighing beads

Eventually, as you remove more and more beads, it may become too confusing and time-consuming to count out them. You may wish to weigh them instead, see Using a digital scale to measure doses and Counting beads in a capsule versus weighing.

Like all psychiatric drugs, do not skip doses or alternate doses to taper Cymbalta. Its half-life is very short, about 12 hours. It is metabolized via the liver enzymes P450 1A2 (substrate, inhibitor) and 2D6 (inhibitor).

• Posted

Cymbalta comes in 20 mg, 30 mg, and 60 mg capsules. 

Cymbalta is tricky to taper. It does not come in liquid form and cannot be compounded into a liquid. To protect the drug, each bead inside the gelatin capsule has an enteric coating to protect the drug from stomach acid, which would destroy the drug. (It is absorbed further down in the digestive tract.) The pellets cannot be dissolved in any liquid without destroying the active ingredient.

You cannot crush the pellets  or dissolve them in a solution -- the drug would never get into your system, it would be destroyed in your stomach and you would have immediate cold-turkey withdrawal.

Of course, the range of dosages from the manufacturer is inadequate for very gradual tapering.

Reduce by 10% per month to start

As with any neurologically active drug, a conservative taper is the safest way to go off Cymbalta. Some people find they can go faster and some people find they have to go slower -- they can only tolerate decreases of a fraction of a milligram at a time.

A conservative taper for Cymbalta, like other psychiatric drugs is: Reduce by 10% per month, calculated on the last dosage. (The amount of the reduction gets progressively smaller.)

The bead-counting method

Like Effexor XR, some people have tapered by opening the Cymbalta capsule and taking out the beads to gradually reduce the dosage. 

You can do this if you have brand-name Cymbalta or generic capsules containing hundreds of tiny beads rather than 4-12 "mini-tablets"

The number of tiny beads in each Cymbalta capsule will vary within a given dosage, across dosages, and from different manufacturers. The capsules are filled by weight. To find an average number of beads per capsule, you will have to carefully count the beads in several capsules. Then you can estimate how many beads amount to  10% of the dosage and manage your taper accordingly by keeping notes on paper showing the number of beads removed and equivalent Cymbalta dosage.

Take out 10% of the beads at each step of the taper. Put unused beads into a clean, dry, capped prescription bottle marked with the dosage of the original capsule and expiration date. You might want to use them later. Do NOT mix beads from capsules of different dosages, such as 30mg and 60mg.

NOTE When you are taking loose beads, put them in an empty capsule to swallow them. Gelatin capsules and vegetarian capsules are available at health food store. there have been some instances of the beads causing throat irritation when swallowed without a capsule.

Dividing Cymbalta beads into empty gelatin capsules

Opening capsules and weighing beads

Eventually, as you remove more and more beads, it may become too confusing and time-consuming to count out them. You may wish to weigh them instead, see Using a digital scale to measure doses and Counting beads in a capsule versus weighing.

Like all psychiatric drugs, do not skip doses or alternate doses to taper Cymbalta. Its half-life is very short, about 12 hours. It is metabolized via the liver enzymes P450 1A2 (substrate, inhibitor) and 2D6 (inhibitor).

• Posted

I have been on cymbalta probably 6 years ago. I switched from that to another because it stopped working. I've just googled images and recall the box. Sorry I cant be much help I think I went down weekly to next lowest dose then didn't take anything for 3 or 4 days then started new one. It was hard. If you are having attacks I would have thought you needed it. What does your doc say? Wish I could be more help. Sorry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.