Tapered off of Klonopin and now I am in perimenopause hell!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Every month towards the end of my period, I wake up with anxiety and depressionand cry for a few days,

(also have developed a rash like I did in withdrawal) I feel like Iam losing my mind, I don't know how to put up with this.  It feels for those days like it did when I was withdrawaling from klonopin, which is a horrible thing to go through. Anyone else out there that have dealt with a drug liek klonopin and then enter perimenopause and have these syptoms?

I attached a photo of the rash which has spread some now.

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

how are you doing Kay?

• Posted

Hi! I had been really bad, went through 3 doctors and ended up going to urgent care. All tests were normal, then I looked up my blood pressure pill and foind a few people have same symptoms, emailed doctor, he said to stop the pill and feel much better. Doctor wants me to rest before any tests I guess.Axniety finally letting up. I guess the klonopin dammage made me sensitive to other medication? Even this doctor does not understand klonopin problems.

My symtoms were racing heart 24/7, extreame anxiety, electric shocks and adrenylane rushes at 3:00am every morning. Hardly any sleep. Horrible deep itching under the skin from head to toes, seperate from that was a rash that looked like ringworm but went to a derm and it is an autoimmune thing, when I stopped the BP pill, the rash stopped and is healing, I turned down the steroids.

I happened to get my period after all this and was nervious, I had anxiety and dperession but no where near as bad as tha tlast thing. Not sure what this all means. 

Sorry I didn't come back here because of what happened I also got a ringing in the ears and vertigo and I got nautious and dizzy when looking at the screen. The vertigo is almost gone.

I really thought I was going to die and all those doctors missed it sad

• Posted

Pardon my spelling, still abit dizzy.
    • Posted

Very typical. BP pills causing anxiety. I do believe that after benzos anything causes anxiety, because we perceive those symptoms as such. I learned the hard way. I refuse everything. Now, it seems that I have asthma and I refuse anything for that as well. Be careful! Anything, even Ibuprophen may cause symptoms. I am glad you are better.
    • Posted

Funny, I had the vertig as well. And the screens made me dizzy. I think I used a nasal decongestant containing para-amphetamine stuff. But the docs said it was a virus. For 3 months i was a basket case. I hope it wont surface this spring. I do seem to have severe allergies now. I remember many people from the benzo group told me they get allergies after the taper.
    • Posted

If I have to take a BP pill I don't knwo what I am going to do, my readings are higher number int he early 40s and the bottom number is between 75 - 85

Noneof the doctors I have seen know anything about benzo damage. I am lucky this doctor beleived me. The doctor before him offered me klonopin! I just looked at him and said, "Klonopin is what did this to me!"

BTW I was taking Ibuprophen  because my GP that prescribed the BP pill never warned me not to. I am so p*ssed and now all the bills from the doctors I tired to get help from are rolling in. 

Nice to hear from you! Oh I also have from this mess loud tennitus

• Posted

Your blood pressure may come down by itself. My husbands BP is always like this and he never even considered BP pills. He takes magnesium. Also, there are different types of BP pills, some may have side effects less bothersome. Ibuprophen raises BP because it thins blood. It also has central action, as far as I noticed. I stay away from it as much as I can. Not only it gives me nsomnia but also severe stomach pain and cramps.

• Posted

No doctor in the US will tell you any truth about benzos. The most I got from one was that Klonopin is for life. He forgot to mention that it would be a very short life due to withdrawal.
    • Posted

Anetta, how many times a day does your husband take the magnesium and is it 250mg?  I take magnesium at night it has b6 in it. 
    • Posted

I don't know how it can be for life, because it alters your brain where it does not work anymore, thus upping the dose and I think K is toxic after 4mgs? So anyone taking it is racing a clock that will eventually collapse. 

Yet I have friends happily taking it and they think that what happened to me will not happen to them. What they block out is what it did to my brain it is doing it to thier brains. I see so many people suffering via face book trying to stop benzos. Yet the doctors blame the person who was only taking it as prescribed and were not informed of the dangers.

I take magnesium, powdered with water and beet crystals/powders. I take coq10, D3 and K2. I also drink tea and noticed a calming effect so I looked into it and found out about L-Theanine. But becuase of what happened am waiting on adding anything. I take the normal vitamins, E, C, B vitamins, Fish oil, probiotic kelp, Iron also.

I am liking the beet juice or powder. I have it every morning and it helps my muscles and energy without revving me up.

I have not had red meat in 20 years because I found out that I don't digest it very well, I kept going to the doctor and they put me on some medication, said I had spastic colitis. But I found that when I stopped red meat I was right as rain. 

• Posted

I am unable to take anything including Vit B, I would not dare CoQ either. I believe that this craze for supplementation that I succumbed into after I moved to the US have caused my anxiety, which in turn resulted in benzo use. I never supplemented anything back in Europe and I was the calmest and happiest human being ever.  So far I have accepted the fact that I cannot take anything, actually there was a brief period about 3 years ago before the "peri" or whatever it is started that I was able to use some meds once that I needed them. The next year I tried again and I got a ton of horrible side effects with the same ones. It might be for life, but if the peri lasts long I dont think the life will be long. This amount of stress has to result in some damage to immune system and some diseases resulting. That is why i think many women get cancers around this age and other diseases. Myself, I believe that I have MS or sth, but there is absolutely o need to confirm it since I would not attempt to take anything for it anyways.  My life is very stressful because I have no support in my husband who traveled for work for the past 8 years. I moved to a different state 6 years ago and lost all friends etc, plus no husband.  Alltogether I have cooked a situation that is hurting me in the long run. But I also read that women who have perfect, stress free lives also suffer greatly in meno.

• Posted

We take organic magnesium compounds ie glycinate or maleate. It usually comes in 200mg tablets. my husband takes 2. I am not sure how it affects his BP, but he feels calmer and can deal with stess at work better, otherwise his BP goes up at work and he cannot deal with anything. I used to take one pill daily for a long time, but now in peri it hurts my stomach so I can only take it once in a while. My BP is very low, but my heart rate is high because of peri. magnesium does not help the heart rate. So far the only thing that helped the heart rate is continuuos pressure on my belly.
    • Posted

I worry constantly about my high blood pressure, I never had it before until WD. I have siblings that have always been on BP pills, look great, great heart, great weight, living large. They don't do anything for thier health, (Maybe don't need to) but the lifestyle is not the healthiest. And here I look and feel like crap trying to function doing the healthyist things. They take the BO pills, statins, gout medications, my sister takes 4 BP medications and smokes. I don't wish this on her or anyof them, but sometimes I just think to myself "REALLY!!!" I want to live life, do things, create. 

Sorry i'm venting, maybe I should see a therapist smile

Anetta94863, please look up Theanine, its from tea, see what it does physcially. Maybe just maybe it can help you. I take 50mg (very low) sometimes andit clears my head, calms me without drugging and for some reason neuro-wise helps me actually really feel hope. I think the lowest suppliment is 100mgs I take half of it out because of sensitivity. I have never taken a whole pill.

• Edited

Guess what? I compare myself to other people all the time. One thing is certain, most other people have not used benzos like I did. My mom used benzos, but not on a daily basis, and not klonopin and she is very sensitive to meds as well. She is a though cookie tho, she is the generation of though people, not snow flakes like me. I was never really sensitive to meds, but i always had anxiety and depression. I could handle them better and livve a decent life untill I made an ill fated decision to move to the US, and cut myself off my base. I don't mind you venting because I do it all the time. I think that it is because we have some form of obsessive thoughts, or because there is depression in us. And depression might be cused by a mere inflammation in the body of which we may not even be aware. Other people would feel this as pain in lets say joints, we do not feel pain, we feel depressed. I think your blood pressire might as well go downb yet. 2 years aftr WD is still not that much. For how long did you  take klonopin? I was on it for about a year and a half.

• Posted

Is 3309 your zip code? It would be funny because I just moved  back to PA from 33160-Sunny Isles Beach. After 6 years there.
    • Posted

No I live in chicago, I think the login process picked the number because Kay was taken. I am on benzo buddies under kay2020 are there pms here?
    • Posted

WOW! 25 years! An it still worked and you did not have increased anxiety? Because in my case it was causing horrible anxiety after a while, i would probably have to dose every couple of hours and I only did 0.5 mg a day.  It also caused depression. After about a year I felt that I needed to increase the dose. It was my second benzo as well, before that I was on oxazepam for sleep, for a year untill it stopped working. I stopped taking it , became really ill but never attributed it to benzo withdrawal. In a few years, I guess because I got Graves Basedows I was given klonopin and barely survived the withdrowal. But as I say I am kind of a snow flake. 
    • Posted

I used to be on dr Nimro website , but I see taht they closed it. It kind of saved my life during WD.
    • Posted

Over the years it was raised, But the last  few years I dropped a pill here and there. Because he raised it for any reason and I thought that if I get used to the raised doses it would not work when I needed it to. I had no idea about benzo withdrawal  sad It did damamge my brain, I should have never been kept on it and I had no idea. 

My anxiety got worse but Doctor always blamed me and would add a pill to the prescription. I know a guy that was on klonopin over 30 years and doctor cut him off totally and retired, I helped him taper and he had such an easy withdrawal, however he did have vertigo 24/7 before tapering and we don't know if it was the klonopin or not. Another woman on Xanax for over 20 years and her heart is so bad she cannot risk ever coming off of it. To me it seems like withdrawal and all they do is raise her Xanax and she had to have the ablation on her heart. And these are not internet peopel I personally know these people. 

• Posted

I was at a doctors website but I don't remeber its name, it had a forum and they exclusively  do the mirco taper.  They shut it down also. You should find me on benzo buddies so we can be in contact.

• Posted

When I was tapering i had very bad vertigo, but it did not have the spinning component in it. Just the feeling of a huge load pushing you down, the way you feel on an airplane. The horrible fatigue, etc. I was rarely dizzy. Now the feeling f vertigo came back, and it is accompanied by dizziness. For a while it was full blown spinning vertigo 2 years ago in spring. I think allergies play a role here, I seem to be OK in winter.  unfortunatelly someting is starting recently, bad tachycardia, dizziness, the huge load on my body, tightness in my head, trouble sleeping. I hope I can survive the spring. My hair is thinning badluy but it seems that I am pulling it out by myself, when I have this pressure in my head. I dont know if it is menopause or severe allergies and sinus/inner ear involvemnt. Today I have hot flashes as well on my body, not head. So strange, so afwull. I will try benzo buddies. What is your name there?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.