Tapered too fast?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

I've recently stopped my Mirtazapine after being on 15mg for almost a year. I dropped to 7.5 for 2 weeks and then 3.75 for 2 weeks then had my first drug free night last Sunday. I'm pretty sure I've done it too quickly after finding this ans other forums but I'm not going back to it now I'm off. The reason I stopped was mainly due to weight gain but partly because I had become a shadow of my former self. I wasn't engaging with my work colleagues and had withdrawn from my husband and family. I sat in the bathroom in tears on lots of occasions, thinking I couldn't keep going any longer.

Background was that I am waiting for a knee replacement and had embarked on a low calorie diet to get myself into the best shape possible before my op. After 3 months of dieting I literally was only a couple of pounds lighter so went to my GP and was diagnosed severely hypothyroid and put onto levothyroxine. I was so relieved to find there was a reason so sat back and waited for the pounds to start coming off. At the same time I was put onto Mirt due to problems sleeping due to pain and I thought it was the best thing ever! That was almost a year ago and despite eating healthily I am around a stone heavier and I was devastated and depressed beyond belief. After having a chat with one of my patients about her trouble with Mirt I realised it probably wasn't my thyroid to blame as I've been on a therapeutic dose for a few months now.

I was previously on Amitriptylene and came off that no bother, having no idea about withdrawal or the fact it was addictive so I'm hoping I will be able to get through this with minimal WD. I also take morphine and I wonder sometimes if that helps me with other things, ie the Amitripyline WD.

If you've read that to the end, thank you.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.