Tapering diazepam.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have tapered down to 2mgs and now l feel completely stuck.l am being slammed with terror and obsessive thoughts .l don't know how to move forward.I am worried l can't get off this poison.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

So sorry your suffering what have you tapered down from it has to be done very very slowly xx
    • Posted

Hi Carol I was only on 7.5 mgs for sleep and neck pain however I have been on it for 11 years.l hit tolerance many years ago and have had numbing of emotion, agitation,poor mood increasingly over the last 4 or 5 years.l want to get off them but l am doing this on my own.l am tapering slowly however this last few cuts have been horrendous.
    • Posted

Hi I think you could do with some help and good advice I know there awful to come off.ive been on them over forty years. Are you on anything else xx
    • Posted

I am effexor XL 75mgs.They will be next to taper off.l think diazepam should never be given for more than 2 weeks.l have never ever suffered like this and doctors don't want to know.

• Posted

Oh that's awful them not helping you as the wd are horrendous what are XL75mg xx

• Posted

An antidepressant l will come off it once l heal from the diazepam.l will have to push through l think l will try to stabilise on the 2 mgs and drop down very slowly.l will never take another benzo as long as l live.
    • Posted

I don't blame you there is help and advice out there I'm sorry I just can't think what there names are maybe some one on here can help better but there's usually leaflets in GPS surgery xxxx

• Posted

Hi, you have done so well getting down.  I am stuck for four years on 5mg originally given for back spasms, then i found i needed it for sleep.

can i ask you if you managed to drop by 1mg or less at a time? Any help would be appreciated as dr doesnt want to know and has said oh thats not a big dose you will get off it!

• Posted

Hi Ann l have dropped 0.5 mgs every 3 weeks.l have to say doctors haven't got a clue you should only have diazepam for 2 weeks they are definitely very addictive drugs and very hard to get off.Long term effects are awful l became agoraphobic, agitated, depressed and emotionless.l would encourage you to try to get off them.l think they cause a lot of problems.

• Posted

Yes i have read the experiences of people on these.  I have just titrated off anti dep but didnt realise i would have to go through agoraphobia, agitation and depression whilst getting off these.  How did you cope
    • Posted

To be honest Ann it is a constant battle l just keep pushing through some days it's not possible however l have to keep going.l know it is worth it as the diazepam was making the anxiety unbearable.Withdrawal symptoms will pass and I keep that in mind at all times.

• Posted

Hi

I wanted to encourage you.  I came off the last of mine in about November last.  I feel way better now, not perfect but then I never did even before benzos.  I get anxious still but nothing like the anbxiety I got when tapering

The last few mg of diazepam was the worst.  Tiny amounts affected me hugely by then and nobody in the medical profession believed that it was making any difference.  I had been tapering for about a year and I couldn't see an end to it.  

In the end I took 2 weeks off work and just stopped the last 2mg.  It was no worse that coming off in fractional amounts. I know everyone says you must come off slow and I think that you do need to in the beginning, but at the end I am not sure you are doing much other than prolonging the agony.  

If I were to do it again I would stop, stay at work for up to 5 days then take 2 weeks off, because i didnt really feel any different for a week (same as when I tapered).  I also noticed that I felt the withdrawal for about 4 weeks, whereas when I was tapering it only lasted about 2.  I felt stronger during that process however as I knew I was off it. 

I dont think that I could have handled work though.  Instead I did a lot of exercise and a project in the garden to focus on.  I also took quetiapine in very small doses (12.5) to help me sleep.  I found getting off quet pretty easy once I felt better.  

I now sleep OK and am much better at work in terms of focus and concentration.  Better for me anyway.  Generally I feel like me again.  

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you Richard that is very encouraging.l think I will taper for awhile longer l have to say the terror and panic is very hard to deal with.l have dealt with anxiety for years but this is a whole different ball game.l will be so glad to be off them.Again well done.
  • Posted

I was on Lorazepam for 20 years and start cutting down beginning of September 2017. Was on 3 mg and posted my lowering dosage for a while but haven't updated recently. in comparison I was told the 1 mg of mine is almost 10 mg of Diazepam. I am now on half mg. In one week going to try ZERO. It has been so tough. I pray for you. Just take your time if you have enough pills. I got stuck on 1 mg for 6 weeks. Shame on these doctors. My sleep problem is at its worst. Wish I could help you more, but just try your best and know you are not the only one struggling with this. I have no choice but to get off them due to my 5 mg hrdrocodone. Pain doctor won't prescribe both. But my pain is so high I chose to taper off the Lorazepam. With our new law in AZ might not be able to even get my pain meds anymore. Chronic pain sufferers should not be cut off due to other people misusing opioids. I will have to go back to Lorazepam if my pain is not helped.  Good luck and keep us updated.

Sincerely, RS

• Posted

Well done you are amazing.l hope you get off and stay off.Doctors haven't a clue nor do they want to.l will get down lower very soon and take it slow as it is my decision to come off so the valium will be prescribed as long as I need it.Thank you RS you are an inspiration.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.