Tapering Effexor from 300mg to 37.5 in less than a month, please help me!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Back story: I was diagnosed with a major depressive disorder a few years ago and was put on 150mg of Effexor er a day. I was doing good on it for 2 years.

Now, I am divorced and I wasn't dating until March this year and I started having problems in the "bedroom" so I talked to my psychiatrist and she recommended to up the dose. She put me on 300mg a day, then told me to give it a month and if it wasn't working, we will do something else. Well, it didn't work and she told me she was going to taper down the Effexor and give me something else after I was completely off. She told me to go back to 150mg and after 1 week to go down to 75mg and then the following week to go to 37.5mg. I did that, so in less than a month I went from 300mg to 37.5mg. The side effects were horrible, I was really emotional and unstable but I stuck to what she told me because I didn't know better at the moment.

Then, on my 4 week she told me to do every other day 37.5mg and I almost went crazy. I couldn't do it. I called her and she sent me a prescription for 20mg once a day and told me to stay on this one for 2-3 weeks and then just stop.

Now, my problem is that I am not doing good on the 20mg at all. The anxiety is so high that sometimes I feel like my heart is going to stop. Last night I woke up at 3am and started crying for no reason. Then this morning I had a feeling like something really bad was about to happen. I don't know what to do? I have been doing some research and I realized she took me off my medicine too fast and I don't trust her anymore. I am trying to find a new doctor but for now I need some advise. Should I increase my dose, keep doing the 20mg for now. I've been having so many meltdowns that I am afraid I am going to lose my boyfriend or hurt my kids (emotionally).

Please help!

Thank you

Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like classic withdrawal symptoms - teariness, excessive anxiety, dread etc

There's two options - one is to get to a dosage where you're comfortable - might take a few days to stabilize and then try to decrease much more slowly. Or to wait out the symptoms - unfortunately its tough to tell how long that might be

• Posted

I was on max dose of Effexor XR for almost a dozen years.  Tried changing to another anti depressant. The withdrawal was HORRIFIC.  So I asked to go back on Effexor XR.  My daughter said it was affecting my breathing and ability to walk any distance, so I decided ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.  I WEANED myself OFF of Effexor XR AND AT THE SAME TIME started and continually increased CBD OIL.  And during the 2 1/2 month withdrawal and afterward....NOT ONE SIDE EFFECT  I did it w/o doc knowledge, but he was very surprised  Can't argue with FACTS.  Good luck, but CBD OIL was the ANSWER!!!!

• Posted

Hi there! I understand weaning off in such a short time. I went from 75 mg to 0 in 2 months when I started Lexapro which did not work. My generic Effexor was discontinued and substituted with something else that cause me anxiety. But now I'm back on Effexor XR name brand. It is a hard med to wean off, especially at a higher dose.

Besides the bedroom issue, If you were feeling good on it why are you not taking it anymore? Please I hope not to offend you, I love sex, but honestly I could not live in a crazy state of mind everyday. The anxiety and panic have been horrible in recent months but I'm also going thru menopause, and my thyroid medication was to high....but living in that state and trying to have an intimate relationship with my husband was next to impossible!

I'm a lot better now, thank God, truly!!! I think you might have to re evaluate why you're weaning off and if it's really the right thing.

God bless you!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.