Tapering Gab-little good info out there.

Posted , 2 users are following.

(I did also accidentally post in the in the PHN forum I'm in) I don't regret (I think) using Gabapentin. I was at 2400 mg/day and am now tapering off as my shingles/PHN  which started back in October are improving. However, trying to find info good medical about how to taper is almost impossible! I'm working with my doctor and he sort of left it up to me, knowing I'd do it gradually. I'm going down about 100 mg every two weeks, but I believe I can speed that up. Originally he had me dropping 300 mg (100 with each dose), but that was too much. So I added 100, stayed at that for weeks and now am dropping 100 mg/day, over a two week period.

The only info I could find said either 10% reduction or 25% reduction. Then I found a research paper that there ISN'T any clear recommendation, that it's all over the place! Thanks guys! Put us on it and don't tell us how to get off of it!

Luckily, my niece the pharmacist called and agreed that 100/day over 10-14 days would be prudent. There can be side effects if you do it too quickly. Ironically the side effects are similar to either shingles (fatigue, confusion, depression, itching) or what happens when you start the Gab! I've also learned that Lyrica can be a better drug than the Gab, but it would have been too hard for me to switch.

So good luck everybody! Recovery is possible, but it's still a journey. I realize it will be months before I'm off this stuff, but it's a start.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

So Barbara,

Are you decreasing Gabapentin 100mg daily or 100mg every one to two weeks?

If you are doing it 100 mg daily, it is much too fast for most people.

Also, Lyrica has major adverse effects that many individuals cannot tolerate. It is not necessarily a better medication than Gabapentin for PHN because of its risk profile.

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks Merry, I realize I didn't explain it well. Yes, once I drop down by 100, I stay at that dose for about two weeks. Then I'll continue that schedule for months.she suggested that as I seem to have many side-effects I should take it slowly, it's possible if it goes well in the future, I could try to do 200 mg. I don't want to do the math as I know it's a looong time. But the withdrawal symptoms are pretty scary. I didn't realize how powerful this drug is. 

Glad i didn't switch to Lyrica, I've heard good and bad about both and I felt better the devil I knew.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.