Tapering Mirtazapine, PLEASE HELP

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I posted a while back asking about weight loss coming off Mirt 30mg a day. I've tapered myself down to 7.5mg, and while experiencing a dip in my mood and a lot of tiredness, I still have a horrible raging appetite and I can't lose weight. 

I have EDNOS with a strong binge/purge tendency. I struggle with body image at the moment and gained 4 kilos after starting Mirtazapine. At the moment I can't stand to look at myself in the mirror, I only wear baggy clothes and I can't even sit down without feeling miserable. It's hell. I am terrified that my appetite won't go down after I come off Mirtazapine and I'll have to deal with it for the rest of my life. I desperately want to lose weight but NOTHING seems to work and I find it so difficult to prevent binges. If I start eating anything with carbs or sugar I can't stop eating. I really really need help - when will the weight gain stop? I'm coming down again to 3.75 tomorrow. 

(Also on 225mg Venlafaxine o/d, 150mg Pregabilin t/d, 100mg Lamotrigine b/d, but none of these seem to give me any problems weight-wise). 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Aquarium

Fear not ... the appetite diminishes around the 3.5 mg mark, however doing a 50% taper could really rock hyour nervous system.  Have you been tapering big drops already?  I hear you when you say that mainly the symptoms have been tiredness.

Anyway, I hope Evergreen will pick up and reply to your thread, she worked really hard to lose weight and worked out that you needed a 400 calorie daily deficit to stay the same which is yes .... not workable.  

Mirt' is sometimes prescribed for people suffering with anorexia and also slows down your metabolism at the same time, just so very difficult NOT to gain weight.  I too gained 20lbs +, as have most people on this med'.  

I have noticed a considerable difference in craving food during during my tapert, once at 5mg it stopped, so hang on in there, my best advice is not to rush the taper, all will be well in the end.

Wishing you well.  

• Posted

Hi there, 

It sounds like you're really struggling at the moment. FIrstly hats off to you for tapering down to 7.5mg. It's not and easy thing to do but glad that your symptoms are seemingly minmial.

It's difficult to say how the body is going to react to changing any of your medication. Some people find that right up until they come off they still have an appetite which feels uncomfortable to them. My GP actually pre-warned me that some people do have a stronger appetite at the lower doses but once off of the meds, it usually goes back to normal. 

To an extent I can understand the distress you are feeling. I also have an eating disorder - or am in recovery from one I guess - so that feeling of despising your body in such a way is one that I am familiar with. It's not an easy thing to deal with. 

I'm wondering how much of your appetite is being influenced as well by your eating disorder. If you live in a cycle of binging and purging, your body starts to try to tell you something and the only way it knows how to tell you is by physically responding in some way. Are you recieving any treatment? 

• Posted

Hi Aquarium. Please try not to panic; the weight WILL come off once you get off the mirt. But as Calmer quite rightly points out, I graphed my weight and exact calorie intake for a whole year and found that I needed 400 calories less than a woman of my age, height, weight and exercise level should need just to stay the same weight. So not only does it increase your appetite, but it lowers your metabolism too. A double whammy! But your body will return to normal once you get off it, I promise. Not immediately but around 2 weeks after you completely come off it, your metabolism starts burning calories at your normal rate. Hang on in there, and don't go too fast. You will get there in the end.
  • Posted

Hi Aquarium

Please dont panic I felt exactly the same, I thought i would never lose the weight, when I was on Mirtz I ate vitually nothing and went to the gym 6 days a week and nothing moved it was so upsetting and depressing which defeats the object really!! However i have now been off of Mirtz for 4 weeks and I am so pleased to say I have lost nearly all of the weight I gained without even dieting!!!  I cant believe how much food I used to crave, I would be looking for the next thing to eat now I am back to how I used to be its unbelieveable how much those tablets can affect your life, take it easy coming off the last part but then you will be back to your old self

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.