Tapering off 10mg amitriptyline

Posted , 5 users are following.

Started over 3 years ago on 75mg and over the last year have slowly reduced to 50mg then 25mg. Have been on 10mg now for over 2 months. Can i just quit now or do i need to take it alternative nights to reduce? Any help would be greatly appreciated as i cant take time off work to see the doctor.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Personally because of the length of time you've been taking the Amitriptyline I would take it for a alternative nights and see if you cope ok, then stop it.
  • Posted

In my experience I would say do not just come off the 10mg.

The Dr said to me to just come off as it's such a low dose. I had the worst experience ever with just stopping it. I'm not joking I felt like I was coming off heroin or something. I wish I'd done it slower.

But people's bodies are different. I'd try one every other night for a week or something then one every 2 nights. Keep dropping them out slowly.

• Posted

I agree with Matron. Take it alternative nights for maybe two weeks, then if you feel it necessary continue after every 3rd night for two weeks then assess whether you are ready to stop entirely. It has been in your system a long time and takes time for the body to adjust without it. I hope it goes well for you.
  • Posted

I would maybe taper it dowm to 5mg for a couple weeks then every second day..and go from there or even taoer it to 2and 1/2 mg for a week or so..you have done realy well there..😘 ive been on 25mg for over 20 years.......tried dropping it down to 10mg it just didnt help..was on 50 originally.mmm....like a zonbie..so my

Dosage settled at 25mg..😘😘😘..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.