Tapering Off

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was reading a discussion from a couple of years ago re tapering down.and one that I probable should have applied to myself. My inflammation, which is measured by: Erythrocyte Sediment Rate was in February 24mm when on 3mg of Prednislone. I had no feelings of  pain or stiffness, this only occurred on reducing to 1mg. Since finishing it I had a blood test  on the 5th  of June and the level has increased to 27mm. So in theory I should re introduce the Pred to 3mg and then apply a much slow taper

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have you symptoms? ESR is so non-specific that it could be all sorts of things causing your ESR reading. And the difference between 24 and 27 is minimal. Keep having checks and see if the trend is really rising.
    • Posted

I do have symptons: stiffening neck, but doing stretching excersise, pain in muscles on both upper arms, but only on certain movements and a pain in groin area but only when lifting my leg up. Problems seem worse on my right side of body. Otherwise okay
    • Posted

Then I would definitely consider re-starting pred before it gets worse. BUT it is possible it isn't PMR directly but myofascial pain syndrome which affects your right side more than your left. However - the myofascial pain syndrome starting up is a sure sign of a flare for me. Usually if I sort the MPS, I don't need to raise the oral pred as much. I use massage/manual mobilisation of the trigger spots and Bowen therapy also helped me a lot.

• Posted

I have booked to go and see a Bowen practitioner, so will see what happens. Thankyou for your advice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.