Tapering off Alchol

Posted , 9 users are following.

If a person drinks 2 - 4 5 ounce glasses a night for a few years, do they need to taper off to quit?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Of wine? 2 glasses would be 14 standard US drinks, 4 would be 28, so like 4 12 oz bottles of 5% beer per night at the high end of the scale. If you're worried about it, then throttle back to 2 per night and quit from there. 

"Low risk drinking" limits for women are at 7 standard drinks per week and no more than 2 in a day. 

• Posted

It totally depends on the person, if you get withdrawals like anxiety, shakes and sweats then you need to taper off to be safe. Regardless of this, tapering is a lot more successful in the long term if you want address the situation. Do you feel your drinking is a problem or could become one? And what is it you are putting into your Cup? x

• Posted

Tapering off alcohol only works imo for a minority. Once the alcohol has entered your system, all sense and logic disappears and then you have another drink. I tried it loads of times and ended up worse than before.

i agree you suddenly shouldn’t stop and go cold turkey. My salvation, for want of a better word, was acamprosate ( campral). It’s an anti craving drug and it’s worked twice for me.

• Posted

No absolutely not. You need to drink a hell of a lot more than that to need to taper off.
  • Posted

Probably not.  The signs of , though, to be sure.

dependency that require medical intervention are severe shakes when one stops drinking or seizures.  Probably a good idea to talk with your doctor or an addiction therapist

• Posted

Yikes, my thumb hit the mouse...can I edit a post?

• Posted

Unfortunately, no. Never hurts to suggest it as a feature though...
  • Posted

Tapering off alcohol is a self-treatment strategy that has shown to be effective for some individuals. And, if there is any caveat to the method it is just that: what may work and be safe for one person may not be the case for everyone. Because it can be hazardous, it is always best to seek out professional care to craft a strategy customized to individual needs. Some treatment practices will include a benzodiazepine  sedative medications regimen to replace the body’s alcohol needs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.