Tapering off Gabapentin

Posted , 32 users are following.

I've been taking 400mg 3x daily for 6 weeks. I want to stop taking it because of side effects.  Does anyone have any advice or suggestions as to best way to do this?  

0 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i was given Gab.because I couldn't afford the 800.00 price of Lyrica for my compressed disk pain. Gab. is a predecessor of Lyrica so the drug company added a few other tweaks to it after the patent ran out.   Don't even start it.  It's been a horrible experience.  I have edema and the Gab. made my feet and ankles swell up to about twice their size. I probably didn't ween myself off of it correctly but it sounds after reading everyone else's post that it didn't matter that much.  In other words, the effects are with you for a very long time.My legs are still swollen and my memory has gotten worse plus  It also seemed to make my pain worse and I'm feelng some depression.  I had to sleep in a recliner for about ten days while I was taking the medication and only after I stopped, was I able to return to my  bed. I'm 65 and never had such a horrible experience with a prescription drug.

• Posted

Dear god... i know this is an old post , but after 20 years. 6 days!!! That is crazy.... even if you were on a low dose for a month the taper should have been waaaaay slower.... most people have to taper this like a benzo... 10% every 2 to 3 weeks. Tapers can last loner than time the medicne was taken in some cases.
  • Posted

I took it for three months for anxiety. When I read up on the drug I was concerned and did my own taper. It was from 300 a day. One month at 200, one month at 100. I was ok. But what really triggered my decision was one day I forgot to bring my dose to work, and by 3pm, I felt flulike ache and disorientation. I had to leave work and the symptoms didn't subside until I took 200 mg. I started the taper a week later. I have been having foot pain and some urinary hesitancy that started during this course. I'm so glad I found out sooner than later because I really liked the effect on anxiety. Today I take 100 on a rare occasion if I'm having trouble falling asleep with no problem. Maybe once a month if that.

• Posted

Hi Karen41245

A friend of mine is having a hard time weening off her gabapentin and has warned me about it. I was taking 3 x300mg at night before bed due to my restless legs/feet. It was perscribed to me by a dr from the sleep clinic. My family dr reduced it down to 2 at night but I have only been taking 1 at night and it seems to be doing the job.

But reading all you comments I noticed I have been forgetting a lot .. I just mentioned that to my brother today. Like you would tell me something and I would walk away and then ask what did you say ... my daughter noticed it too with me.

• Posted

Lorrainebr, using gab for RLS is an off-label usage and may have only minimal effect. Yet, as you found out, the problems with the drug can be very troubling. Yes, your memory problems are because of the drug. There may be other problems you never even realized, that were also caused by it. It's your choice, but I'd say stop taking it. I've been tapering from 2700 to 600 for two years now, as getting off is so hard, but I'm doing MUCH better with every drop.

• Posted

Hi I could write a book on this! we are all different coming off this medicine. i came off 600mg too fast and was very ill. in the end I water titrated the capsules and came down very slowly. i was reinstated at 240 mg. then took 4 months on a gently lowering dose. i am off now, but it was hard. There is a great Face Book page on this. GABAPENTIN WITHDRAWAL GROUP. great page. You can learn about water titration on You TUBE. It is easy and accurate and the best way

• Posted

Broadbandbill, is that the exact name of the FB group? Gabapentin WIthdrawal? I did a search and didn't find it. I found Gabapentin Awareness, which is the only one in my searches that had gab in the name.

• Posted

It took some work, clicking on other links to get to the actual group, but yes, I found it now. It's actually Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawal Support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.