Tapering off HRT

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, 

I have been on HRT for about 5 years (maybe longer).  I am now postmenopausal apparently (have had blood tests and a chat with the nurse about it).  I am thinking of tapering off HRT.  I take medication for hiatus hernia (Omoprozile) and I have read that this medication leeches B12 from ladies over 50 and I am also vegan and have been for 12 years.  Does anyone else have any advice on nutrition and supplements after stopping HRT..

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If you discontinue your HRT you are very likely to be revisited by your old menapausal symptoms. Also you need to remember that HRT protects you against osteoparosis, arterioschlerosis and, to a lesser extent, dementia.
    • Posted

Hi Andrew.  Thanks for replying.  So how long is it appropriate to keep taking HRT for?  I was under the impression (comments from the nurse) that I should be thinking of coming off it as I am now post menopausal and have been taking it for over 5 years.
    • Posted

What if like me on HRT PATCHES for a year and at 50 want to come off them due to weight gain. I go swimming 5days eat veg juices and still can't stop weight gain.

• Posted

Hi I take Menopace plus by vitabiotics this has lots of good Vits & I also dont eat meat so I take B12 & Omega3.

I do have muscle & bone pain so I take Osteocare by vitabiotics each evening.

• Posted

Thank you Barbara!  I take Omega 3 and a multi vit with iron.  My diet lately has been rubbish so I need to sort that out.  I have osteoarthritis in my back, hips, knee and neck and I find that pilates, swimming and yoga help (plus heat pads and heat cream to a certain extent).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.