Tapering off Mirtazapine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm coming off Mirt because of the weight gain.  I spoke to my GP and she said "don't bother tapering,  just come off them,  because it's a low dose". Which I know isn't wise to do.  I've been on 7.5mg since September last year.  Before that I was on them from February to August.  Going from 7.5mg up to 45mg,  and then back down, Finishing off at 7.5mg without any side effects at all.  Last night I cut the 7.5mg in half and woke up with nausea and a headache.  It was worse than being on a high dose of 45mg.  Should I just stick to the 7.5mg and take it on alternative nights,  every two,  then every three and so on.  Has anyone tapered off in this way?  Thanks you.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am on 45mg and have been for 8 months. I hate them. They do help me sleep but I constantly wake up and in the morning I feel so hungover. In a fog and heavy head. Does this sound like the mirt. I want to start to taper down to 15mg but am scared of withdrawals. How fast did you go ?
    • Posted

Hi

Yes,  I would say it's the Mirt. They are great for sleep.  I feel the same in the mornings.  Takes me a couple of hours to function properly.  From the 45mg,  I think I tapered down every three weeks with no side effects.  It's just trying to get off the 7.5mg, I'm having problems with it.  I tried a smaller dose two nights ago and took 7.5mg last night to see if it was any different. But I still have nausea from the smaller dose.    I also cannot wait to finish Mirt.  My GP told me there would be no side effects if I went cold turkey.  But there is no way I am doing it that way. It's all very well taking them for sleep/ anxiety and so on,  but I'm also scared about the withdrawals.  I can cope with the nausea and headaches but not the other side effects that go with it.

• Posted

Did you feel worse in the morning on 45mg or the lower doses ? I have a one year old and can t feel so bad in the mornings am worried I ll be like it till I get off which could take a year on a slow taper. Even after the foggy feeling lifts I get headaches I feel useless every day.
    • Posted

I felt worse on the lower dose.  The 30mg was the worse for me.  I had a terrible pain searing through my back down to my hips.  I homeschool my daughter so I need to be alert too. The small dose,  I just want to sleep all the time. The thought of the withdrawal is making me anxious.  I think the more you dwell on it the worse it will make you feel.  I started taking it in February last year and stayed on it until August.  I stopped at 7.5mg and had no withdrawal symptoms. Went back on them in October. But second time round I just can't seem to stop at that dose.

• Posted

I get terrible tension headaches and just feel heavy. Might not be the mirt but have to start reducing and find out. 7 months to get to 15.....wish I'd never gone up.

• Posted

Maybe the dose is too high.  Speak to your Doctor and ask can you reduce the dose.  Did you get the headaches before the Mirt?
    • Posted

I'd speak to your Doctor and explain the headaches. Best get it sorted. I used to suffer with them too.  This way way before I started the Mirt.  The headaches were to do with my anxiety.

• Posted

HI SWANSCITY,,when i was on the mirt i started on 30mg for dep/anx/chronic imsomnia/panic,,the 30mg was too heavy it made me a zombie so reduced to 7.5mg and stayed on that for 10-12 weeks i started to feel a lot better every week so then reduced too 5mg then 3.75 over 2-3 weeks because i felt 95% better then stopped,,i did have some side effects,,but nothing i could not handle i am now ok and have been OFF 7 weeks,,,also i have my life back,,its easy to cut the tabs into the mgs to the above size if u are carefull,it is no good up and downing the mirt it will only make u feel worse,,stabalise then SLOWLY reduce and u will soon start to feel a lot better,,i do have a sleep problem sometimes but put this down to my brother dying on jan 24 and am taking trazodone for it sometimes,,hope this helps you,,,,,,,good luck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BLUESY 
    • Posted

Hi

Sorry for your loss.  I did cut the 7.5mg in half, and I still suffering two days later.  How did you manage the 5mg with the 7.5mg tablet?

• Posted

HI SWANSCITY,,,i cut it into 2 parts 1,, 5mg-1,, 2.5mg  ,,,also u will not feel better after 2 days it takes time to respond to your sistem give it time and u will soon see the benifit and start to feel better,,i know it is difficult but u have to persivere to get the results,,good luck,,keep in touch,,,,BLUESY 
    • Posted

Thank you.   I know it's different for everyone.  I will give this a try.  I don't want to do a big drop.  I'd rather it took a while than going too quick.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.