Tapering off Mirtazapine - My Experience

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi all,

This wll be a brief record of my experience coming off Mirtazapine.

Writing it down might help me stay focused on my goal and I'll try and answer any questions for others along the way.

I've been on 15mg of Mirtazapine for 15 months now.

For the first 9 months it worked wonders for me. Instantly helped with my sleep and anaxity. I can remember telling my doctor how amazed I was with it! 

After 9 months I started feeling I was getting more and tired in the days. 

It was effecting my focus, concentration and memory. I was groggy in the morning till 10am and dozy in the afternoons from 3pm. I was feeling a bit out of control. Zombie like.

I had a decision to either up my dose to 30mg, as higher doses has less of a sedation effect. Or to try and come off it.

I decided in the long run, increasing it would only make coming off it harder in the end so I would TRY reducing it.

I started cutting a tablet into quarters with a craft knife, and taking 3/4 or 11.25mg a night.

For the first 2 night it didn't sleep well but felt about the same in the days so pushed on and it passed.

I always do my drops on a Friday night so I have the weekend to ride out the worst of it.

After 2 weeks I dropped again to 1/2 a tablet or 7.5mg.

This was a lot harder. I was in a really heave sleep until 9am the following days, woke up with a banging headache and couldn't do much all day.

It has been like this for the first 3 days on 7.5mg.

I am tempted to go back up but seeing as I have done 3 days now I will keep pushing on.

I know it is going to be a tough few weeks but I am going to do positive things to keep on top of it.

The classics. Eating well. Exercise. Vitamins and Omega-3.

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi everyone, ive been on mirtazapine for a year and a half! i was 15mg but a month ago i cut down to 7.5mg. i felt really strange at the start, anxious and irritable, the main reason i used them was for sleeping/ anxiety. so after about a week and a half on 7.5mg i decided to have a drink to handle the withdrawal symptoms which really worked but i found myself drinking a lot more than usual! now im afraid to stop excessive drinking because of more withdrawals because i plan to get rid of this poison from my body. the biggest regret for me was taking mirtazapine in the first place! has anybody else tried alcohol to ease the withdrawal symptoms?

• Posted

Thanks for your feed back Adrian. I've been on it for 5yrs 30mg.. Have been weaning myself off now for the last 5 weeks have just about got off them with near zero withdrawals. so i guess some have problems and others others dont. Also depends on strength of mind..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.