Tapering off Propranolol...help please

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello. Around 18 months ago I was diagnosed with Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia. My heart pounding caused me to also have anxiety. My Dr. Put me on 30 mgs. Of Propranolol. I chose to cut one pill in half and take 25 mgs. It has made me sleepy, fatigued, and exhausted. What has bothered me the most is that I have gained weight. I have not changed my eating and exercise daily. I have called my Dr. and he said I could decrease my dose to 10 mgs. daily. I am now taking what I estimate to be 18 mgs propranolol per day. I shave the 2 pills back. I tried to shave more off tonight and my heartrate went to 122 and I felt jittery. Does anyone have recommendations on how to come off this medicine? My weight gain is really bothering me.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was on 80mg of Propranalol for migraines and I put on about 2 stone in a year. It was gradual but no amount of dieting stopped it going on. A GP friend told me it slows your metabolism down so you can lose the weight but you have to work extra hard at it while still on the drug. Anyway, I asked my doc about coming off it and she said I could just stop and if I had any side affects I could lower the dose to 40mg in order to prevent withdrawal.

I just stopped and I was fine. I immediately went on a diet (I joined Slimming World) and started exercising and about 7 months later the weight was gone.

I had a slight heart problem about a year after and started suffering with extreme palpatations (which are hereditary in my family) for a time. I was referred to a cardiologist who recommended I go back on Propranalol but I refused. I chose instead to watch my diet and exercise a bit more which has helped at lot, and he was fine with my choice so long as I seek help if the palpatations came back.

I don't know if this helps you but I would see you doc about weaning off the drug if you are worried about other side affects. Good luck with it all, the weight gain is horrible espcially when you know you aren't eating badly :-(

• Posted

Thank you. I am exercising more and eating less. Nothing is helping with the weight. Maybe I tried to cut the pill back to soon. I will continue cutting the pill back but much slower. I also have palpitations occasionally. It really scares me when my heart starts racing and in turn causes me to get anxious. This only makes the heart speed up more. I just have to calm myself because I want off this horrible medicine.
    • Posted

I started 80 mg a couple of weeks ago for migraines. I was dizzy so my pharmacist recommended 40 mg untill I get used to it. I'm supposed to double the dose but I can't see me doing that anytime soon. My Dr told me no withdrawals or side effects. And certainly didnt mention weight gain.  I certainly don't need to put on any weight. I'm not getting migraines but I'm still getting headaches. 
    • Posted

My pharmacist said that there are no withdrawals from this medicine. I know that is not true. So...I called my Cardiologist to seen the best way to taper off. The nurse returned my call and said cut my dose in half and within a week stop it totally. I just can't see me stopping it within a week. Just cutting down 1/4 a pill makes me jittery. I understand that is normal withdrawal symptoms but, I wish they didn't take this medicine so lightly. I will continue to taper weekly and pray for the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.