Tapering off xanax

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm prescribed .25mg of Xanax ever since I started taking Prozac. Pretty much to help my anxiety and my side effects. I want to be done with Xanax and just be on Prozac. I don't even take the whole dose anymore. I tried getting off the Xanax by lowering my dose from .25mg 3 times a day down to .0625 (a quarter) or two a day now. I slowly got down to this after like three or four weeks. Now I've been stuck at taking a quarter or two day because I still have some anxiety and I'm scared to be completely done cause I'm afraid of siezures. My brother has epilepsy from either an injury in the brain or puberty, we don't really know and witnessing that it had traumatized me. Now I'm scared I'll end up having withdrawals and havin a siezure but could I on such a low dose? Could I on just taking a quarter or two a day? And how do I stop completely? Helppppp!????

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

First, have you talked to your prescribing doctor about this? If so, what did they say? I may be able to help, but need to know that.
    • Posted

I have.... My doctor kind of laughed and said I was on the lowest dose possible and that I would be fine just stopping. And when I said I was on a quarter or two a day she laughed even more and was like I'm not worried. But when I talk to my paychiatrist she doesn't laugh. She understands. I haven't talked to them about completely stopping yet

• Posted

My ex doctor laughed too when she told me to just drop a med cold turkey. That's what triggered my first horrible anxiety attack. She's fired, and I'm doing fine with another doctor.

If your psychiatrist is listening, that's the one you want to check with. Please get confirmation from him or her. I don't know enough to even guess about drugs and dosages. i have tapered off a drug just fine, but not what you are asking about. Be well, luv

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.