Tapering off Xanax, panic attack after 5 days of taper.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been taking 1MG of Xanax 1x a day for anxiety for a year now. I finally reached a point in my life where I felt like I had my anxiety under control and wanted to try to start tapering down off of Xanax.

I started by taking .875 MG for 5 days, and everything was fine no increase in anxiety. Then I went down to .75 MG a day for 5 days, over these 5 days I slowly started to feel more and more anxious and my old anxiety symptoms coming back. Today I had a panic attack, took .25 MG of Xanax and within 2 hours felt better.

My Dr. has told me to continue to take 1 MG a day as perscribed. The question I have is, was this a symptom of Xanax withdrawal or my original anxiety condition returning?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Medication doesn't fix the problem, it only masks the symptoms. I would suggest you try and start some CBT therapy as you wean yourself off as it will help you manage your symptoms until they no longer bother you.

Lucy

• Posted

Hi Lucy, yes you're abosolutely right about the medication only masking the problem. I didn't notice any tangible progress until I began CBT and intentionally putting myself into situations that would cause anxiety and facing them. I was finally able to start living a normal life again, go out and not even think about anxiety.

I noticed so much improvement that I thought this time around I could handle getting off the Xanax slowly. It just seemed that those last 5 days the physical symtoms became so overwhelming that I couldn't rationalize my way out of them, I just felt worse every day I stayed on a reduced dose.

Even in situations where there was no stimuli to cause anxiety I would feel the symptoms throughout the day physically.

So I'm trying to figure out if at this point it is a physical problem from the reduction in Xanax or still the original mental problem

• Posted

I think because you become used to the medication and relying on it it's like a comfort blanket or safety net, your subconscious thinks you have removed the only thing keeping you safe so starts the fight or flight response. As hard as it is you need to keep telling yourself it's just a mind game, the symptoms cannot hurt you. Do whatever you need to do to distract yourself.

Maybe reduce your dose more gradually and when you feel comfortable then take it every other day then reduce the dose further.

I've had a whole bagful of comfort items I used to carry around with me and panicked if I forget them and I still do have a couple of things but I've lost quite a few too so I think it's just a case of baby steps, there isnt a race so just go at your own pace.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, it's extremely frustrating dealing with this especially when it's hard to distinguish whether the problem is mental or physical. That's why while I was tapering I didn't want to introduce any new variables to the problem, I just cant understand how just tapering down from 1MG to .75MG for 5 days I could progressively go from fine to terrible.

Now that I'm on day 2 of 1 MG of Xanax everything is returning to normal, I know that the CBT is helping because I was slowly able to do more and more things that used to trigger my anxiety. I hope I can get this resolved because I cant just stay on Xanax forever.

Thanks for listening, it's tough because even when I get to go talk to my Dr. it's not for very long and I feel he would just rather prescribe medication that address the root cause of the problem.

• Posted

Maybe tive it three weeks in between. And you will have wothdrawls. You just will. Teres a site b nzobuddies i believe. The withdrawls needs to be teeny tiny over a long time.  Its nit the anxiety returning. You get withdrawls which are rough. It is diable but lots of patience tiny amiunt when lowering and slow and steady. You dant expect no reaction to less meds. These alter you. 
    • Posted

Terrible typos. Sorry benzobuddies. Thats the site. 
    • Posted

How much 3 weeks in between? Right now I just went back to 1mg and still don't feel 100 percent back to normal after 3 days but it's getting better.

That was really bad, 5 days and it just got worse and worse until I couldn't take it anymore

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.